Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Role-based access rules not being applied

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Oct 27, 2013 03:23 PM

I have created a Role based access rule on an Instant AP 105 that is to be applied to the client based on the ssid they connect to. However, the only access rule that is ever applied is from the default Role created when creating an ssid. Any idea why the Role based access rule never gets applied and the Role never changes?

Attribute = aruba-essid-name Operator = equals String = RED Role = IG

When clients connect to ssid RED they should get Role "IG", yes? But instead they only get the default Role. What am I missing?

• 2.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2013 09:41 AM

Are you doing machine auth as well? could explain why the role is not getting applied as you need to auth both the device and the user for this to occur. What is your auth mechanism? internal to the IAP? Captive Portal? External Radius?

Can you post some of your config removing any client specifics? WLAN section as well as Auth and roles.

Adam

• 3.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Oct 28, 2013 10:41 AM

No machine auth. Just basic WPA-2 Personal. Here is the snippet of config I think would be setting the Role:

wlan ssid-profile RED
     index 0
     type employee
     essid RED
     wpa-passphrase d4f4ce460e56ce7adaa288a43e9c4ffac5d784fafda7720c
     opmode wpa2-psk-aes
     max-authentication-failures 0
     auth-server InternalServer
     set-role Aruba-Essid-Name equals RED IG
     rf-band all
     captive-portal disable

However, the only Role that gets applied is the default Role that gets created when the ssid is created.

Then the next question: Can you only apply one Role-based access rule set per IAP. I have a BLUE ssid created that has a default BLUE Role-based rule set. BUT, when I apply the BLUE Role-based rule set to the BLUE ssid it appears to save but when I go back in and look at the Access tab it has the Access set to Network-Based with the rules I created for the BLUE Role???

• 4.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2013 11:59 AM

What code version are you running? I'm running 3.3.0.2 on a 2x IAP cluster I have up in my lab and I'm seeing the same issue. Confirm version and I will ping PLM internally. Note if this is/was a known issue, it may be patched in current code - but my IAP's are live on our cloud management platform and there is a slight lag b/w current GA code and supported code on Aruba Central.

Please confirm.

Adam

• 5.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Oct 28, 2013 12:04 PM

6.2.0.0-3.2.0.4_38110 and 6.2.1.0-3.4.0.3_40346

Seems to be happening on both.

• 6.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2013 12:10 PM

Thanks, leave it with me for the moment...will reply back asap.

Adam

• 7.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Oct 28, 2013 04:55 PM

FYI - after opening a case with TAC I was told that Role-based access control only works when using an external auth server, RADIUS.

• 8.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2013 05:04 PM

kconley, thanks for sharing your findings - could of sworn you could do this in a previous release - but trust those in TAC. Have a thread on this internally and if anything of interest comes up, will post back. Cheers and thanks!

• 9.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Oct 28, 2013 05:24 PM

Hi,

We do support role derivation without using an external RADIUS server, but we can only derive based on inherent attributes such mac address, and not RADIUS attributes such as Aruba-Essid-Name.

Also, could I ask why we are trying to derive based on Arub-Essid-Name?  Because it seems redudant as the default role is already per-SSID.  If the goal is to define a different access policy for each SSID, then just setting the policy in the default role (or just using network-based access control), should be enough.

Role derviation is geared toward giving different roles to different clients even if they are on the same SSID.

Thanks,

Yan

• 10.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Oct 28, 2013 05:28 PM

Role-based is how we were shown to do it in a sales pitch by an aruba "guru". Thought it even worked. I have it working through network-based and see no reason to do it any other way. Thanks!

• 11.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Oct 30, 2013 10:55 AM

@Yan Liu wrote:

Hi,

We do support role derivation without using an external RADIUS server, but we can only derive based on inherent attributes such mac address, and not RADIUS attributes such as Aruba-Essid-Name.

Also, could I ask why we are trying to derive based on Arub-Essid-Name?  Because it seems redudant as the default role is already per-SSID.  If the goal is to define a different access policy for each SSID, then just setting the policy in the default role (or just using network-based access control), should be enough.

Role derviation is geared toward giving different roles to different clients even if they are on the same SSID.

Thanks,

Yan

I tried that but it didn't worked, it placed the device on the default role too . I have the latest IAP OS installed

• 12.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Oct 30, 2013 06:25 PM

Hi Victor,

Do you mind pasting the output of running configuration from CLI or from UI's support window so we can see the full config?

Thanks,

Yan

• 13.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

Posted Feb 28, 2017 05:27 AM

Hi,

I change the role-based access rules and the external auth radius servers, but the client are connecting to the old role. We use external guest auth. 

how can I force the client to associate to the new role?

Thanks

• 14.  RE: Role-based access rules not being applied

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2017 06:21 AM

Please open a new thread.  This post is from 4 years ago.