Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID only working when no Hiden

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  SSID only working when no Hiden

Posted Nov 17, 2019 12:50 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Everyone,

I have an SSID for 3 wireless phones and phones/ssid work like a charm except till I want to hide the SSID.  As soon as I hide the SSID, the phone disconnects and says "out of range"  The ony way to reconnect the phones are by unhiding the SSID or delete/recreate SSID as no hiden.  Any ideas what could it be?  Attached is the SSID settings.  

thanks

• 2.  RE: SSID only working when no Hiden

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2019 12:46 AM

You should know that by hiding a SSID you are not increasing any security. Then on top of that, there are number of WiFi clients using a variety of old firmware for their adapters that have issues connecting to hidden SSID.

• 3.  RE: SSID only working when no Hiden

Posted Nov 18, 2019 12:57 AM
    Thank you, yes, I am aware of that as hiden ssid can be easily discovered. I was also thinking toward the client as well because it is only happening with the sip voip devices.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: SSID only working when no Hiden

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2019 01:15 AM

yes generally older WiFi clients have issues with it.

perhaps you can upgrade the firmware onthose SIP handsets.

• 5.  RE: SSID only working when no Hiden

Posted Nov 18, 2019 01:23 AM
    Yes, will do. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: SSID only working when no Hiden

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2019 03:17 AM

Especially with voip handsets it is really deprecated to hide the SSID as the handsets cannot build an AP roaming candidate table based on the SSID broadcasts. Hidden SSID is probably the worst enemy of roaming and really should not be deployed as there are no security and even no airtime benefits.