Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Separate SSID only using 802.11g

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Separate SSID only using 802.11g

Posted Mar 06, 2013 05:02 PM

I am a rookie with wireless stuff.  We have some Instant 105's setup at a YMCA that we support.  The wireless is working fine for most things.  There are a couple of excercise bikes that connect to the wireless for internet access that allow users to login to a website and track their biking stats.  The company that makes the bikes says they need to connect using 802.11g only because using 802.11n causes intermittent disconnects.  I was wondering if it was possible to create a separate SSID that would only use 802.11g so that I connect the two bikes to that specific SSID in hopes of fixing the connection issues we are having.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: Separate SSID only using 802.11g

Posted Mar 06, 2013 05:18 PM

Hi,

In InstantAP the ARM profile/Radio Profile is assigen to all ssids.

3333.PNG

11111.PNG

22222.PNG

*IT will effect all your SSID'S.

Other method ( A bit freaky  :smileyindifferent: - but it's just might work for your bikes) I  tought about...why not build a spereate ssid with WEP key ? or TKIP ? it will limit the the connection speed to 54 Mbps (802.11g)

444.PNG

hope it gave u some answers and some ideas.

have a great night.

me

• 3.  RE: Separate SSID only using 802.11g

Posted Mar 06, 2013 05:32 PM

Unfortunately, there is no way to configure precisely what you are attempting.  As kdisc98 mentions, the changes he lists are AP wide changes -- all SSIDs. It sounds like you have more than one SSID so this would not be ideal.

Another thing you can try, but is not exactly what you are looking for, is to set the "bikes" SSID to run on 2.4Ghz only.  This will still do   b / g / n in the 2.4Ghz band.   Sometimes .11a and .11n issues , when running in 5Ghz, can be due to insufficient coverage (too few APs) as higher frequencies attenuate more rapidly than lower frequencies -- making this change may help validate this. To do this highlight the "bikes" SSID, select Edit > Click "Show Advanced Options" in the lower right corner > Set "Band" to 2.4Ghz only.

• 4.  RE: Separate SSID only using 802.11g

Posted Mar 07, 2013 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reply and the ideas.  Since changing the radio settings affects all of the SSID's, I'll probably shy away from that.  I am going to look into creating an SSID using wep or tkip and see if that is an option.  I am also going to check out setting the SSID for the bikes to only using the 2.4 Ghz band and see what that does.