Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Setting up different network SSIDs to their VLANS

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Setting up different network SSIDs to their VLANS

Posted Aug 25, 2014 02:22 AM

Hello

I am trying to setup 2 network SSIDs and associate them to vlans 8 and 9 and getting a bit confused.  Here is my situation:

Environment:

1. IAP 225 running ArubaOS 6.3.1.0-4.0.0_39949

2. Cisco switch 2960

Setup

IAP is VC is on Vlan 3 with IP address and gateway on vlan 3.  The IAP is connected to a trunk port on the switch. The native vlan on this trunk is vlan 3. Allowed vlans on the trunk are 3,8,9.  Two wlans (ssids) test1 and test2 are created. Test1 is assigned to vlan 8 and Test 2 assigned to Vlan 9. The native vlan on trunks throughout the the rest of the network is vlan 99. The Uplink Management Vlan under Edit Access Point dialogue is set to Vlan 1.

Results:

1. I am able to access the IAP gui when connected to an access port on vlan 3 and the ssids are correctly assigned to their respective vlans, but when I change the Uplink Management vlan under Edit Access Point dialogue to VLAN 3 I lose connection to the iap gui and cannot ping the iap.

2. Posts in thisb forum indicate that the Uplink Management Vlan should be on the same vlan as the native vlan assigned to the Trunk, but this does not seem to work in my case.  Only when the Uplink Management port is on Vlan 1 am I able to ping the iap.

Question

1. What is the purpose of the Uplink Management VLAN?

2. Should the Uplink management vlan be set to native vlan of the trunk connecting the switch to the iap?

3. Should I be setting the Eth0 on the IAP to a trunk port? If so where do I do this.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Thanks Edi

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Setting up different network SSIDs to their VLANS
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 25, 2014 02:26 AM
    I believe you should not change the uplink management VLAN setting in your case, since your management VLAN is not tagged. The uplink VLAN option is only for those networks for which the management plane of the IAP is going out on a tagged VLAN, which is not very common in our experience.

• 3.  RE: Setting up different network SSIDs to their VLANS

Posted Aug 25, 2014 02:44 AM

Thank you Yan

• 4.  RE: Setting up different network SSIDs to their VLANS
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2014 09:10 AM

To answer all the questions (but Yan was 100% correct!!)

1. What is the purpose of the Uplink Management VLAN?

A: this setting tells the VC what VLAN to place management traffic in IN ADDITION TO tagging that VLAN on the uplink port off the IAPs.  Normally, this traffic is sent untagged in the native VLAN.

2. Should the Uplink management vlan be set to native vlan of the trunk connecting the switch to the iap?

A: NO.  It shouldn't because of the answer above.  If you set the maangement VLAN to match the native VLAN, then it won't work as the IAP will be 802.1Q tagging the traffic which won't match the upstream switch.

3. Should I be setting the Eth0 on the IAP to a trunk port? If so where do I do this.

A: there is no explicit setting for "trunk" on eth0.  That is handled in two primary ways - the VLAN ID setting in the network/SSID config and the management VLAN setting.  These two settings dictate whether to 802.1Q tag traffic on the SSIDs as well as the management VLAN

• 5.  RE: Setting up different network SSIDs to their VLANS
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 25, 2014 11:27 AM

Seth Thanks for the detailed explaination. 

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated.