Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Settings for fast roaming in DC on 2.4ghz

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Settings for fast roaming in DC on 2.4ghz

Posted Feb 23, 2018 04:44 AM

We are having installed a IAP305 nerwork in a DC, and now we want to setup best settings for fast roaming between 14 accesss points, on the 2.4Ghz

Can anyone explain or refer to documenation how to setup Instant version 6.5+ so devices on specific ssid will roam quickly trhough the DC?

I saw e.g. enabling 802.11 R - I need to put in an MDID.. but I don't knwo what an MDID is..

• 2.  RE: Settings for fast roaming in DC on 2.4ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2018 06:00 AM

First, clients decide when they will roam. The infrastructure can do things to encourage clients, but we need to know what type of clients you have, before we can do anything.

In short, lower transmit power as well as removing lower transmit rates from an SSID will encourage clients to roam quicker. Client match is a load balancing mechanism, but does not occur fast enough to be a roaming mechanism.

802.11r can be problematic for quite a few clients and should only be enabled if all your clients support it. I would avoid it in the short term.

UPDATE 6/2018 -  The updated RF and Roaming Optimization Validated Reference Design Guide (VRD) has been published and has updated recommendations about enabling 802.11v, k and r in user networks.  The VRD can be found here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/432994

• 3.  RE: Settings for fast roaming in DC on 2.4ghz

Posted Feb 23, 2018 06:09 AM

The clients are Summit Data Communications - 802.11g 

I knwo clients decide wether to roam or not. But what do you mean with:

• lower transmit power as well as removing lower transmit rates from an SSID will encourage clients to roam quicker

I mean where in Instant can we find these settings/ and adjust specific? Any document available ?

So 802.11 R is not suggested. Thanks

Any settings specific for Client Match referring to the roaming on 2.4Ghz clients?

• 4.  RE: Settings for fast roaming in DC on 2.4ghz

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 23, 2018 06:25 AM

Have a look at the below for removing data rates as a guide.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Removing-Low-Data-Rates/td-p/235967

The user guide for InstantOS is below:

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/26233/Default.aspx

The data rates can be removed when creating a SSID either via the Wizard or via the CLI

(Instant AP)(config)# wlan ssid-profile <name>
    (Instant AP)(SSID Profile <name>)# a-max-tx-rate <rate>
    (Instant AP)(SSID Profile <name>)# a-min-tx-rate <rate>
    (Instant AP)(SSID Profile <name>)# g-max-tx-rate <rate>
    (Instant AP)(SSID Profile <name>)# g-min-tx-rate <rate>