Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Single VLAN vs VLAN Pooling

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Single VLAN vs VLAN Pooling

Posted Sep 18, 2018 04:54 PM

Hello,

I'd like to get some feedback from the community.. I think the general consensus is that single large VLANs seem to be preferred over VLAN pooling (as far as controllers go) but I'm wondering if the same applies to instants..

I'm doing a small deployment for a local coffee shop which sees a very heavy amount of wireless usage. I'm consdiering a /21 for the space with 4-hour lease times. The deployment will consist of an EdgeRouter-4 and (4) IAP-315's. I think this should be sufficient horsepower to handle all of the DHCP and DNS Proxy requests.

My question is, would I be better off going with 4 x /23's, configured as VLAN pools?

I'm planning on running with broadcast filtering all (since clients don't need to communicate with one another) and enabling DMO.

Can someone with more experience validate my logic? Should I go with VLAN pools or a big subnet? Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Single VLAN vs VLAN Pooling
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:06 PM

When you say "heavy" do you mean alot of traffic or alot of unique users?  If it is alot of traffic, you probably do not need a /21.

How many people do you expect at that coffee shop at the same time?  Your lease times should probably be significantly less, like maybe 15 or 30 minutes, because the majority of people could be drive-bys and you don't want those people consuming ip addresses.  A single VLAN will not be a problem with broadcast filtering ARP.

DMO is only for organizations that expect to be delivering multicasts to users.

• 3.  RE: Single VLAN vs VLAN Pooling

Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:52 PM

"Heavy" traffic meaning a lot of unique users with a small number of those consuming a lot of bandwidth.. Coffee shop is two floors and a lot of customers stay for 3 hours or more. There's outlets everywhere so it doubles as a very student friendly study space. Peak usage sees around ~200 people with pretty high turnover.

I was thinking of long lease times as I don't want users interrupted at all on DHCP renews.

• 4.  RE: Single VLAN vs VLAN Pooling

Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:55 PM

Also what's the prevailing logic around broadcast filtering in this case? All or ARP? Seems like ARP is the better way to go?

• 5.  RE: Single VLAN vs VLAN Pooling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:57 PM

For Instant ARP offers more broadcast filtering.