Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

Posted Nov 26, 2017 11:25 PM

Hi all,

I've set up a basic guest WLAN using most of the default settings, including setting "Client IP assignment" to "Virtual Controller managed".  This set up a separate IP range, 172.31.99.0/23.

Unfortunatley, this hands out the IP address of our internal DNS, which is on an IP range to which this guest network is denied access.

As the 172.31.99.0/23 range isn't defined anywhere in the VC's DHCP, I can't seem to find where I can edit this.

How can I make a VC-managed IP assignment for a guest network hand out only the DNS address I specify?

Many thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 27, 2017 05:56 AM

dhcp.jpgThen setup the scope details, including DNS...

• 3.  RE: Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

Posted Nov 27, 2017 05:31 PM

Hi,

Thanks for that - though that appears to be VLAN related - all I want is to change the DNS server that the VC hands out.

As it looks like the VC is doing some NATing here, I'm concerned that setting up my own DHCP scope will break this.

How can I keep the VC managing DHCP and doing its own NAT, but also use external DNS?

• 4.  RE: Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 28, 2017 05:06 AM
    The DNS addresses given out by default are the ones that are configured on the APs, or issues to the APs via DHCP. SO, you could just change the DNS servers that are issued by your DHCP scope for these APs.

Obviously I don't know how your network is configured so doing so might not be the best idea!

Without doing the above, I'm not sure if you can just change the DNS server addresses given out without configuring the rest of the scope as previously mentioned.

• 5.  RE: Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

Posted Nov 28, 2017 09:01 PM

Given nothing on the APs needs to reference any internal DNS, I've made this change and it's working - thanks!

Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense that you can't just edit the default scope, but this will do!

• 6.  RE: Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

Posted Apr 10, 2018 12:12 PM

Were you able to find any resolution to this? I am planning to use VC managed Client IP with Default Vlan for Guest wifi but just want to change DNS google's Public DNS. How can I do this? 

• 7.  RE: Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

Posted Apr 10, 2018 07:38 PM

I just ended up changing the DNS on the APs; while this wasn't the best solution the APs themselves had no requirement to resolve any internal addresses, so it works!

• 8.  RE: Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

Posted Apr 10, 2018 10:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. Not going to work in my case. Will look into alternative solution.