Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Spectrum monitor in one band

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 01, 2014 11:40 AM

It is possible to create a spectrum monitor in 2.4ghz and make 5ghz on access mode?

I mean

2.4ghz-->spectrum monitor

5ghz-->access

The idea is having an instant in which i can connect through the 5ghz band and scan for noises in 2.4ghz without connecting it to the network just the power cable having the AP in stand alone

Like if you were doing a site survey but in this case i would be using the spectrum monitor to see the 2.4ghz band.

I try doing it but when i change it in one band to spectrum monitor, it change it to the other band as well automatically...

Cheers

CArlos

• 2.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 01, 2014 02:14 PM
      |   view attached

See attached screenshot

You should be able to do this

• 3.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2014 04:49 PM

What model IAP are you trying this on?  I get the same as you when I try on my IAP93 cause it is single radio.

• 4.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 01, 2014 04:53 PM

Michael i know that :)

Im using a AP 103 which is dual radio dual band

Victor

If you select in 2.4ghz band spectrum analysis,  automatically in 5ghz it auto change the 5ghz from access to spectrum monitor.  Try it Victor and you will see...

I know it looks like individual dropdowns in each band but if select spectrum analysis in one band, the other band change to spectrum analsys

Cheers

Carlos

• 5.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2014 05:08 PM

fair enough.  Unfortunately I don't have a dual band to hand one handy to test myself.

:-)

• 6.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 01, 2014 05:08 PM

Carlos-

I am seeing the same behavior on an IAP-225 on v.4.1.0.1.  I tried it on FireFox and Chrome thinking it might be a browser issue but got the same results.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design and the Users Guide is not clear on the expected behavior.  I'll see if I can get an answer later this week.

• 7.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 01, 2014 05:11 PM

Thanks Marcus :)

Guess it will be handy to be able to change just one band to specturm monitor, and have the other band to connnect wirelessly, so you can check whats going on.   The idea is doing all this without connecting the IAP to the network, just power supply  connection and tahts it.

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 01, 2014 05:30 PM
    Ohhh didn't noticed that...my bad :(

• 9.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 01, 2014 05:54 PM

In the very least you can run each radio in Hybrid mode / backgound scanning independently.  Perhaps not as effective as a dedicated spectrum monitor but may be a workaround....................

• 10.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 01, 2014 10:07 PM

Carlos as Marcus mentioned you can have it configured in hybrid mode or background spectrum monitoring.

I was able to test this with my IAPs and both had clients connected at the time and it was able to detect non-802.11 devices , of course this is not as a effective as having a dedicated radio doing spectrum monitoring

2014-09-01 17_58_23-Instant.png

• 11.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 02, 2014 09:49 AM

I just confirmed that dedicated spectrum mode per-radio is not possible at this time -- both radios will be put into dedicated mode.  The User's Guide will be clarified.

• 12.  RE: Spectrum monitor in one band

Posted Sep 02, 2014 02:20 PM

Yeah guess ican do that as work  around but well i really wanted to have a dedicated spectrum analyzer :) oh well

thanks!! :)

cheers

Carlos