Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Threshold column

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 05:46 AM

Can someone please explain what the "Threshold" column in the 'show ap client-view' table refers to?

I'm struggling to find any info on this.

Thanks

Paul

• 2.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 06:14 AM

Found this(look at the "Table 3"): http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/ARM/Configuring_ARM-Features.htm

"Specify a value for CM threshold. This number takes acceptance client count difference among all the channels of Client match into account. When the client load on an AP reaches or exceeds the threshold in comparison, client match is enabled on that AP.

You can specify a value within range of 1-20. The default value is 2"

HTH

Kevin

• 3.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 06:37 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply. I think we are talking about different things. 

You are talking about 'Client Match Threshold', where I am querying the description for the 'Threshold' column in the table that is displayed when you run the 'show ap client-view' command.

I've attached a screenshot of an example of the table.

Thanks

Paul

• 4.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 09:00 AM

Yes, I saw that as well. Not sure what it could be thugh

Another guess: it may be ClientMatch client threshold which is a 'Number of clients associated to each radio before the SLB algorithm kicks in'. Default value: 30 clients per radio

I wonder if someone from Aruba could help with this

Kevin

• 5.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 09:04 AM

Confirmed, the threshold column you talk about is actually the CM SLB Client Threshold I talked about in my previous post. I just changed this parameter in an Instant Cluster and then the threshold column changed to the same value

Kevin

• 6.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 09:45 AM

That's very strange. In my cluster the CM Threshold is set to 5. Whereas, when I run the 'show ap client-view' the 'Threshold' value is showing as 30 for all IAPs except for one which is 255. This was the reason I posted this question. I wanted to see why one of my IAPs would be showing as 255 when the rest are set to 30.

Thanks

Paul

• 7.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 09:48 AM

Yes. Indeed, I was saying the CM SLB threshold (not the CM threshold). I looged in my IAP cluster and could see that all of them had the same value (which is 30 by default)

Kevn

• 8.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 09:51 AM
      |   view attached

See attachment regarding last post.

• 9.  RE: Threshold column
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 21, 2018 10:02 AM
      |   view attached

I actually meant another parameter. 

Here I attach a screenshot of show arm config and show ap client-view

• 10.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 10:17 AM
      |   view attached

Excellent, thank you Kevin. I can see what you mean now. I was looking in RF > ARM in the VC/Instant GUI, instead of in the ARM config in the CLI.

Would you have any idea of why there are a few radios with a threshold of 255 rather than the default of 30, which is set in my arm config? - See attachment.

Thanks

Paul

• 11.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 10:33 AM

Great!

Sorry I did not manage to explain it very well.

Regarding the threshold of 255, that is strange. I would try the following:

- In your VC, perform a "sh aps"  and check that all the APs have the same config ID and config checksum (to ensure that they all have the same configuration)

- In your VC, perform a "sh arm config" and check the CM SLB threshold (just for doulbe-checking)

Hope this helps

Kevin

• 12.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 11:09 AM

Thanks Kevin, at least I now know what ARM config option the Threshold column relates to.

-Yes, all IAPs have the same Config Id & Config Csum (0 & 18030 respectively).

-CM SLB Threshold is actually set to 5. Whereas, CM SLB Client Threshold is set to 30. Can't see anything in here with a value of 255.

The values seem to change intermittenly as now my 'ap client view' output shows everything with a threshold value of 30, except for one IAP that has read 255 all day.

Checking in the radio stats of this IAP ('ap radio #' stats), Radio 0 (5GHz) is showing as having 4 radio resets. Radio 1 (2.4GHz) is showing as having 9031 'total radio resets' today - I checked this same IAP yesterday afternoon and it only had 3 'radio 1' resets.

I was wondering if the 255 reading in the 'Threshold' column in the 'show ap client view' command output would have any relation to the large number of radio resets on the 2.4GHz radio (show ap debug radio-stats 1)?

I appreciate that this question may be more appropriate for Aruba to answer...

Thanks for your help

Paul

• 13.  RE: Threshold column

Posted Mar 21, 2018 11:53 AM

That is a bit strange. The "CM SLB client threshold" (in the "show arm config" command) should match the "threshold" value of the "show ap client-view". I wonder if someone from Aruba could help us understanding why one radio has a value of 255

Kevin