Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

Posted Sep 22, 2014 05:08 PM

I read an earlier post that said you can't turn off the 2.4GHz radio on selected APs in a cluster.  I was wondering if that has changed in newer releases of code?

I have RAP-109s with ATAs hanging off of their Ethernet port.  From the documentation I have seen, dual-radio APs use the 5GHz radio to form the mesh link, and the ATA is using the Ethernet port, so there should be little, or no traffic on the 2.4 radio.  Yet the 2.4 radio is at 80%+ utilization.  I have nine of these on the network and they all exhibit the same behavior.  The 5GHz utilization is in the normal range.  TAC says this is a result of the mesh, but I am not sure that is correct.

I assume this is either an aberration as TAC says, or there is something in the environment that is jamming the 2.4 radio. Since I am not using that radio, it would be nice if I could turn it off to avoid causing any issues for my other, real traffic.

• 2.  RE: Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

Posted Sep 22, 2014 05:14 PM

So select only 5GHz band for your SSIDs at advanced configuration page.

HTH 

• 3.  RE: Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

Posted Sep 22, 2014 05:49 PM

Disabling the 2.4GHz radio is a global setting.

In addition to setting the SSID to advertise only on the 5GHz radio you can set the 2.4GHz radio on an individual IAP to be a dedicated Spectrum monitor or a dedicated Air Monitor......either of these will take the 2.4GHz radio out of of service for client access and will provide monitoring services only.  These are done by selecting the IAP you want to configure, click "Edit", go to "Radio" then set the 2.4GHz radio to one of the monitor modes.

• 4.  RE: Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

Posted Sep 23, 2014 01:15 AM

Marcus you can just use this trick with air monitor, not with spectrum

If you try to select spectrum monitor to turn off the 2.4ghz, you will see that both bands are selected as spectrum monitor... there is no way to select one band as spectrum monitor and the other to serve clients...

You can turn 2.4ghz in air monitor and 5ghz to serve clients...  but for some reason the spectrum monitor does this:   If you select it in one band then it will automatically select in the other...

Is that a bug?

Cheers

Carlos

• 5.  RE: Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

Posted Sep 23, 2014 01:18 AM

now i remember, you were the one that confirmed me what i just said in  another topic i created  Marcus  :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

Posted Sep 23, 2014 11:22 AM

NightShade-

OOPS!!!!   You are right.................I forgot we just confirmed that you cannot put just one radio into dedicated Spectrum mode -- both radios will be placed into Spectrum mode.

To the original poster............you could still put one radio into dedicated Air Monitor mode.

• 7.  RE: Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

Posted Nov 27, 2014 03:28 AM

Thanks guys, this is important also when doing high density networks or when you have to place your APs in corridors or anywhere you might suspect a lot of co-channel interference on the 2.4 GHz band. Put the 2.4 GHz radio on some of those APs in Air Monitor mode to make the other ones work that much better.

• 8.  RE: Turn off 2.4GHz radio on RAP/IAP-109

Posted Nov 30, 2014 11:20 AM
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,
    Dan Kline