Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Two identical IAP-105 configured as standalone (same config) but they behave differently

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Two identical IAP-105 configured as standalone (same config) but they behave differently

Posted Apr 24, 2014 05:27 AM

Hi all community members,

I have two identical IAP-105.
    I did the same configuration on each (standalone AP, used as survey access points), but when I start them, AP5 starts both radios (2,4 & 5GHz) while AP6 starts only 2,4GHz radio.

If I start AP6 only, it starts both radios (5GHz after a while) and then I start AP5 and it starts both radios.

5GHz radios should respect a 60s delay (due to 802.11h DFS-TPC regulation in Europe) but AP6 waits a lot more to start this section.
    Any advice ?

I can provide the two config file, but they are the same (except for AP name and keys/passphrases/passwords).
    Nota Bene : Although I did the same config, the resulting config shows the two SSID sections in reverse order :

wlan ssid-profile AP5-bgn
     enable
     work-without-uplink
     index 0
    [...]
    wlan ssid-profile AP5-an
     enable
     work-without-uplink
     index 1

wlan ssid-profile AP6-an
     enable
     work-without-uplink
     index 0
    [...]
    wlan ssid-profile AP6-bgn
     enable
     work-without-uplink
     index 1

Attachment(s)

txt
    AP6-v4.txt   2 KB 1 version
    txt
    AP5-v4.txt   2 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Two identical IAP-105 configured as standalone (same config) but they behave differently

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2014 07:38 AM

My experience with using APs for surveying is that if they decide to come up on channel 100 and above, it can take a good 4 mins or more before they start broadcasting.  If you configure it to exclude channels 100-132, it should come up a lot quicker.

What channel were they eventually coming up on?

Obviously if you need to survey on those channels, you have to live with that delay.

• 3.  RE: Two identical IAP-105 configured as standalone (same config) but they behave differently

Posted Apr 24, 2014 08:08 AM

Hi Michael

Thank you for this quick answer.

I have to double check, but as far as I remember, both IAP started on channels above 100...

Still I'ml wondering why the two IAP behave differently (AP #5 works as expected, i.e. 5GHz up 60s after 2,4GHz)...

Nevermind, I will do some additionnal tests and post the results in this thread and then I shall mark it as closed if the long delay is confirmed (4-5mn are still acceptable in a site survey context).

Have a nice day.

• 4.  RE: Two identical IAP-105 configured as standalone (same config) but they behave differently
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 24, 2014 11:56 AM
    Hi Looks like there is a hardware problem with this AP#6 I have 4 other IAP-105 that are configured the same : all start up 5GHz band after the 60s delay. Only AP6 takes 10mn to boot up this band (but LED is on since 10mn...) Thanks again All