Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Unified OS Instant AP 305

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Unified OS Instant AP 305

Posted Dec 03, 2018 03:15 PM

Hi,

does anyone know of a way to set IAP 305 to prefer controller-less ? The ap-redeploy command isn't supported in my environment for this AP model.

The only work around I have so far is to block DNS & remove DHCP option for the IAP's mgmt network.

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: Unified OS Instant AP 305

Posted Dec 03, 2018 05:10 PM

Just been through this myself. 

You can setup Activate to provision the AP as IAP to Airwave or Central and this kicks in before the Unified discovery process. 

the other option is you can write boot variables for each AP if its a small group by interrupting the boot sequence from CLI and entering the following commands:

setenv uap_controller_less 1

save

boot

• 3.  RE: Unified OS Instant AP 305

Posted Dec 04, 2018 07:21 AM

Oh great ! Thanks for the variable, I wasn't aware of it.

Unfortunately Activate isn't an option as a proxy configuration is required to reach the internet and it would require manual configuration for each AP. 

• 4.  RE: Unified OS Instant AP 305

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 07:31 AM

Overclock,

To be clear, if you take a non-UAP IAP access point (like your IAP 305), upgrade it to 6.5.2.0 and above and factory reset it, it will perform like a UAP and discovery a controller.  If you downgrade it to any instant code before 6.5.2.0 and factory reset it, it will only function as an IAP.  You can then upgrade it to anything else, but if you upgrade it past 6.5.2.0 and then factory reset it, it will function as a UAP and look for a controller.

I hope that makes sense.

• 5.  RE: Unified OS Instant AP 305

Posted Dec 04, 2018 07:43 AM

Great, thanks for the info !

• 6.  RE: Unified OS Instant AP 305

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 07:31 AM

Overclock,

To be clear, if you take a non-UAP IAP access point (like your IAP 305), upgrade it to 6.5.2.0 and above and factory reset it, it will perform like a UAP and discovery a controller.  If you downgrade it to any instant code before 6.5.2.0 and factory reset it, it will only function as an IAP.  You can then upgrade it to anything else, but if you upgrade it past 6.5.2.0 and then factory reset it, it will function as a UAP and look for a controller.

I hope that makes sense.