Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Update firmware

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Update firmware

Posted Aug 29, 2013 04:30 PM

I have three AP105s working together with one functioning as a virtual controller.  These were installed by the person before me and I recently decided to add a couple more APs.  When I checked the firmware I found the existing ones are running 6.1.2.3-2.0.0.3_31389 which is dated in 2011.  If I try to have them auto update it fails with a time out error (I assume something in my firewall is blocking it since the settings are to only allow web traffic) from their side of the network.

I started looking around for a way to download the latest firmware and found I could not download anything without a support contract.  I ordered two new AP 105s and they came with much newer firmware dated in 2013 (I cann't rember the version).  I was worried but when I added one to my other three it worked.  Checking the web console I found the new one was downgraded to the old version.

I tried to register the new AP with support to see if I could gain access to support and after a couple emails I found that a new AP does not give me access to support.  My question is does anyone know how I can gain access to the firmware images so I can do a manual update to my APs.  I did take one of the new ones home and connect it to my personal network, where it upgraded a couple of times to a current version of firmware but then when I connect it at work the others take over and downgrade it to their old versions.

I suppose I could figure out which one is functioning as the virtual controller and take it home to update then bring it back but wouldn't another one take over and then downgrade the one I just upgraded?

Any suggestions are appriciated.

• 2.  RE: Update firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2013 04:36 PM

Here's what to do:

1. Take one home or ensure that one has the newer firmware

2. REMOVE all other IAPs from the network when you return

3. Connect in the IAP with the new firmware and make sure it boots up fully

4. Factory default the others (paper clip on the bottom) 

5. Connect them back into the network - should get new firmware and config from #3.

Hope this helps.

As far as the support site, I would try calling in and seeing what the issue is there.

• 3.  RE: Update firmware

Posted Aug 29, 2013 04:46 PM

Thanks for the quick response.  My only problem with that solution is the others are mounted in a fairly high cieling and so I have to bring out a ladder to access them (would be nice if they could be reset through software).  With the holiday Monday I may attempt this.

Joel

• 4.  RE: Update firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2013 04:49 PM
    How about turning off the power? That should also work. I added factory resetting as an extra precaution. Just make sure that the iap with the new firmware is the only one up and is up fully before you add back in the others

Seth Fiermonti
    781-632-6052
    Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Update firmware

Posted Aug 29, 2013 04:53 PM

That would be much easier to try first.  The three origional APs are clearly marked at the POE switch and I can unhook them bring in my newer one with update firmware and then bring them back one at a time.  I was thinking of something like that just wanted to know what others felt about it and fully believe I should have access to firmware images so I can download and install into the one working as a controller to update all the others.

• 6.  RE: Update firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2013 04:55 PM
    Let us know how it goes

Seth Fiermonti
    781-632-6052
    Sent from my iPhone