Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

Posted Mar 14, 2019 11:25 AM

Hi there,

Can I upgrade my IAP cluster from version 6.6 to 8 just from the VC. If so what is the process?

Look forward to reply

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2019 11:40 AM

The Instant 8.3 release notes do a good job covering the different upgrade scenarios. Take a look there for a start.

https://support.arubanetworks.com/DownloadSoftware/tabid/75/DMXModule/510/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=33493

Upgrade options will depend on whether your cluster is a single AP model or mixed.

• 3.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

Posted Mar 21, 2019 08:16 AM

Hello and thanks for this post! 

I have a simple doubt concern the IAP 205. I have a great an old customer using the 205 but now they need more APs. As the 205 is EOS I´m offering the 305, but I believe the 205 doesn´t support version 8 correct? I have a second plan to combine all APs using a controller 7000 series and version 8. What Do you think about?

Thanks,

Gustavo Andrade

BDM Sercompe

• 4.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2019 08:49 AM

https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/

205 is not end of support product, we have support till 2023 but it support OS version till 6.5 code only, we can not upgrade to 8.x version.

• 5.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

Posted Mar 21, 2019 09:03 AM

Hello Pavan,

Thanks for your information and fast response! Sorry about the missunderstand but When I told EOS I was talking about End Of Sales. 

Best regards! 

Gustavo Andrade

BDM Sercompe

• 6.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2019 01:59 AM

for the 305, you do not have to go to 8.x. You can run both AP's with 6.5.4.12 (which is the current latest Version for 6.x). 

I have a customer running both AP's with an even older version of 6.x.

• 7.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

Posted Oct 23, 2019 02:20 AM
      |   view attached

Hi

Are you sure that the IAP205 do not support Aruba OS 8.3 and later?

In the release notes of 8.3.0.6 in table 5 there is the AP205 included (see my picture) or is there a difference beween IAP 205 and AP205?

Thanks for your help.

• 8.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2019 11:42 PM

Hi DominikGy,

Yes, there is a difference. The IAP205 is the instant version of this AP, which can run without a controller. Most of the cool stuff, which we offer in our Environment needs to be run in the AP itself. 

The AP205 is a controller-based AP. This AP needs a controller to function and most of the cool stuff we offer is running on the controller. 

If you want to run the AP205 as an IAP (Instant AP) you cannot run the AP with Version 8.3.x or higher. 6.5.x is the latest available version for that IAP. 

• 9.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

Posted Oct 24, 2019 02:46 AM

Hi FlorianBaaske

Thanks a lot for your reply.

So I can't update IAP205 to Version 8.x and the following. How long will the IAP205 be supported?

At the moment the cluster is managed local over a VC but next year we plan to move them to Aruba Central. Are there any issues when I put them to Central with this old firmware or should everything work without any problems?

If I have to put IAP315 to the same cluster is there any requirement or will the IAP315 downgrade to the 6.x version automatically?

Thanks again and have a very nice day.

• 10.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2019 02:52 AM

running them in central should not be a problem. I have a customer doing so without issues. 

I'm not 100% sure about the automatic downgrade. It could be, that you need to manually downgrade the 305. 

If I wouldn't move to a new place with all my lab equipment packed I could test it. 

• 11.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

Posted Oct 24, 2019 02:57 AM

Thanks.

I will ask my customer how we will do it. 

Maybe we will test it.

• 12.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

Posted Oct 24, 2019 02:59 AM

The IAP315 was part of an Central Cluster before.

How can I remove it from the Central Cluster to add it to the local IAP Cluster at an other site?

Or is there no addidional work needed?

• 13.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2019 02:59 PM

There is no extra work to do. I would remove the AP from the central cluster (switch off the IAP) and remove the subscription from the IAP. Afterward just put the IAP in the same VLAN as the local cluster, while the local cluster is already running. 

• 14.  RE: Upgrading IAP Cluster from version 6.5 to 8.3

Posted Oct 24, 2019 05:10 PM

Perfect so I would test this as soon as possible.

Have a nice evening.