Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Use IAP as master controller for Campus AP's

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Use IAP as master controller for Campus AP's

Posted Aug 03, 2020 08:35 AM

Hi all,

I was looking for documentation about usecases for the Virtual Controller embedded in the IAP's. I cannot find any to use with my own use case.

At our branch offices we have 100+ AP 305 managed by AirWave controllers at our head office. As we are looking into replacing the existing VPLS and MPLS connections to regular internet connections, we need to look at how we can keep managing the AP's at our branch offices. 

With our current config, it isn't possible to manage the AP's with the existing AirWave controllers over the internet so we need to add controllers at our branch offices (not our preference) or look at a migration to IAP's only. 

As we still have a lot of AP's on the shelves it would be nice if we can use two or three IAP's as Master/Slave controllers to control the existing AP's. 

Is this possible?

• 2.  RE: Use IAP as master controller for Campus AP's
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2020 08:43 AM

Hi,

IAP virtual controller works for the IAPs in the same cluster (same management vlan)..

For your case, and since you will be having an internet connection, you can manage your various IAP clusters across your branches from a centralized location which is Aruba Central (the Cloud managed solution) instead of Airwave (the on-premise solution)

• 3.  RE: Use IAP as master controller for Campus AP's

Posted Aug 03, 2020 10:11 AM

Thank you Ayman.

We did consider checking out Aruba Central but we haven't deep dived into it yet. Maybe we will do this.