Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN tagging issue with IAP

This thread has been viewed 48 times
  • 1.  VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Apr 03, 2013 03:32 AM

Hi,

I have some issues with VLAN tagging withIAP-105.

I have a network with 3 VLAN:

VLAN 1:          10.10.0.0/16

VLAN 2:          192.168.2.0/24

VLAN 150:      192.168.150.0/24

VLAN 1 is the management VLAN in the LAN, while VLAN 150 is the management VLAN for the IAP-105 (I define it in the Uplink Management VLAN parameter for the IAP). The network has a Layer3 switch to implement routing beetwen VLANs.

I create two SSIDs, assigning each a Static VLAN ID in the VLAN screen of WLAN definition. The two SSID are:

WiFi-Test1, with VLAN ID 1

WiFi-Test2, with VLAN ID 2

The interface of the switch where I connect the IAP-105 is a trunk with the native VLAN 150 and tagged VLAN 1, 2. The interface in which I connect my laptop is defined Access with VLAN 1.

If a client associates to SSID WiFi-Test1, with an IP in the VLAN 1 network (10.10.0.5), I can't ping it.

If a client associates to SSID WiFi-Test2, with an IP in the VLAN 2 network (192.168.2.5), I can ping it, instead.

I try to substitute VLAN 1 with VLAN 118 (10.118.0.0/16) in the WiFi-Test1 definition, and I create the VLAN 118 in the LAN, defining it tagged in the interface where the IAP is connected: with these changes I can ping a client that is associated to WiFi-Test1, with an IP in the subnet 10.118.0.0/16.

I think that the problem with VLAN 1 tagging should be a bug of the IAP. Is true?

There is anyone else who had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Massimo

• 2.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Apr 09, 2013 01:16 AM

If you connect another machine directly to the switch on VLAN1 can you ping it?

• 3.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Apr 09, 2013 02:31 AM

Do you mean in an interface in Access mode with VLAN1? Yes, I can ping it!

• 4.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted May 10, 2013 09:28 PM

I am having a similar problem.

My IAP config:

I have 2 wlan in IAP, and the management interface of IAP is in a native vlan 90 (mngt)

wlan1 - vlan 1

wlan4 - vlan 4

uplink management - trunk - native vlan 90 - allowed all vlans

wired-port-profile default_wired_port_profile
    switchport-mode trunk
    allowed-vlan all
    native-vlan 90
    no shutdown

wlan ssid-profile WLAN4
    index 4
    type employee
    essid WLAN4
    vlan 4

wlan ssid-profile WLAN1
    index 1
    type employee
    essid WLAN1
    vlan 1

In my switch (L3) i configured both interfcaces vlan 1 and 4 (with dhcp), and vlan 90 (no dhcp)

(the IAP has an fixed IPaddress).

The uplink to the IAP:

description *** IAP Aruba Test ***
    switchport trunk native vlan 90
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,4,90
    switchport mode trunk
    no cdp enable
    end

The clients connecting to the wlan1 (vlan1) cant´t get an IP. It seems that they are falling into the native vlan 90.

Does the IAP tag the vlan 1? I am missing something?

Thank you all.

gmoutinho

• 5.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 21, 2014 12:37 PM

Hi,

By default IAP consider native vlan as 1 and consider the wireless users traffic from vlan 1 as untagged.

To mitigate this situation we neeed to run the below command in CLI of IAP.

Conf t

enet-vlan <native vlan>

commit apply

This will chnage the default native vlan 1 to the exisitng one.

Thanks,
    Sreejith

• 6.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Oct 23, 2014 09:53 AM

Awesome Sreejith. Got it.

• 7.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Nov 20, 2014 04:47 AM

Thanks Sreejith!!!

This finally solves my issue!

• 8.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Nov 20, 2014 05:13 AM

Hi Sreejith,

Would this be a recommended config? Could there be any issues related to it?

Br

Peter

• 9.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Nov 20, 2014 10:07 AM

Hi,

By running the above config, we are making sure that vlan 1 traffic should be tagged while leave the IAP.

Thanks,

Sreejith

• 10.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Dec 04, 2014 08:49 PM

I am having VLAN tagging issue as well*****************************************************.

Switch trunk is configured as below.

interface FastEthernet2/0/13
     description *** Connection to ARUBA WIRELESS AP ***
     switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
     switchport trunk native vlan 8
     switchport trunk allowed vlan 8-10
     switchport mode trunk
     switchport nonegotiate
     duplex full
     mls qos trust dscp
     spanning-tree portfast trunk
     spanning-tree guard root

VLANS brief *****************************************************.

vlan 8
     name NOR_Management
    !
    vlan 9
     name Data
    !
    vlan 10
     name Voice
    !
    vlan 13
     name HyperV
    !
    vlan 255
     name Native
    !
    vlan 1000
     name Unused_Ports

IAP port configs *****************************************************.

wired-port-profile default_wired_port_profile
     switchport-mode trunk
     allowed-vlan all
     native-vlan 1
     shutdown
     access-rule-name default_wired_port_profile
     speed auto
     duplex full
     no poe
     type employee
     captive-portal disable
     no dot1x

wired-port-profile wired-instant
     switchport-mode access
     allowed-vlan all
     native-vlan 1
     no shutdown
     access-rule-name wired-instant
     speed auto
     duplex auto
     no poe
     type employee
     captive-portal disable
     no dot1x

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue is - on Trunk Mode, I cannot connect the IAP... If I change Switch configs to as below the I can connect the IAP - but I need it to be trunk to service WLAN clients.

interface FastEthernet2/0/13

Switchport mode access

Switchport access vlan 8

• 11.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Dec 05, 2014 12:00 PM

Hi,

Please make sure that we don't have mgmt vlan configured on IAP.

IAP_MGMT.jpg

Thanks,

Sree

• 12.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Dec 07, 2014 06:51 PM
      |   view attached

confirmed no management vlan configured...the IAP takes 4minutes plus to boot from a Port configured as <Trunk Mode>... It boots mormally port Access Mode port.

Aruba TAC support are currently looking into the issue..

Thanks anyway....

• 13.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Oct 07, 2015 01:23 AM

Hello,

now 2015-10-07 this issue "no tagging of VLAN 1" seems to be still there.

I run untagged VLAN-14 for MGMT and boot - but have to publish tagged VLAN-1 as SSID => without success because "untagged" network is used instead by IAP-205.

So - however tagged VLAN-14 is not available in my network and because of this CLI with "enet-vlan 14" if no solution for me. I am running a couple of IAP-"205" with 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.8_50989.

Any ideas?

- new FW?

- new CLI for fixing that?

- OR - may I have to change the VLAN concept

• 14.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Oct 25, 2015 05:14 AM

if vlan 14 exists in your network you should be able to use it tagged, can you explain how it doesn't exist?

• 15.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Oct 25, 2015 07:39 AM

VLAN14 untagged supports als MGT Lan "autoconnect" of IAP without pre-configuring it using serial etc.

My question is no how to avoid this reqirement but just when will it be fullfilled by InstantOS.

• 16.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2015 08:31 AM

johannes@goldy,

I apologize, but there does not seem to be a way to do this.  When an IAP boots up, it assumes that the untagged VLAN is both the management VLAN and VLAN1, similar to most network devices.

• 17.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Oct 26, 2015 06:29 AM

Accepted - but should be BOLD on PAGE1 of any flyer of manual

BR Johannes

• 18.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2015 08:10 AM

How would you want that to be worded?  The controller product functions the same way, in that you need to first put it on an untagged VLAN to manage it, then you would configure a different VLAN for management.

• 19.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Oct 26, 2015 08:26 AM

Maybe:

"in default configuration IAP adresses VLAN1 always untagged, so no access to tagged VLAN1 is possible without reconfiguration not to use untagged VLAN access..."

Remember: "my stopper was not to be able to publish VLAN1 (tagged) which was different to my untagged (VLAN14)." ...

... most other vendors did not have that behave .... 
    The solution in my case was not to fix or reconfigure IAP but to move the VLAN1 content to other VLAN11. Therefore no publishing issues occour. VLAN1 is now "emtpy" und my untagged VLAN ist still VLAN14 for MGMT.

BR Johannes

• 20.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2015 08:55 AM

BR, standard practice for MOST (there are a handful of exceptions) large enterprise customers and all government customers (US DoD, etc, per STIG and government regulations) are to not use VLAN 1 at all. This thread is the first time in my professional life I have heard of someone wanting to tag VLAN 1 (with the exception of trunking all ports between two switches of course). 

Colin is correct, most all device that act as an addressable device will assume VLAN 1 as the untagged unless provisioned differently. That goes to access points and any other devices that require a native VLAN (including most switches that I can think of). I will engage the Instant PLM and TME offline in our meetings this week as to whether they feel this needs to be added to the user guide, but the use case is very rare indeed. 

Additionally, the current user guide (4.2) on page 91 calls this out specifically, and explains where to set uplink VLAN if it's different than the default (VLAN 1). 

Thanks!

• 21.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2015 09:07 AM

Also, last question (honest question, just needing to understand why it's an issue for your network).

If the switch port that the IAP is pluged in to is tagged on all access VLANs and is untagged on VLAN 14 (mgmt), why does it matter that the IAP's untagged VLAN is 1? In a very real sense, every addressable (non-802.1q capable) client plugged in to a switch is technically configured for VLAN 1. Is it just the configuration that shows VLAN 1 untagged (which it doesn't really except on the CLI). Otherwise, no matter what VLAN the addressable device is configured (untagged), it *IS* addressable on VLAN14 by nature of the untagged port on the switch.

• 22.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted May 12, 2013 11:51 AM

I believe this is a bug in the current IAP firmware I suggest you to contact TAC to confirm it. We ran into similiar issue and got the response that currently IAP does not support using a native vlan other than VLAN 1 on a trunk port of the uplink interface.

• 23.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Aug 28, 2014 10:18 AM

Hi, apparently this 'bug' still exists...I've send the below question to support, but I probably should have posted it here.

Here's the question:

I have an issue with a customer who has a 'flat' vlan 1 network.
    All clients have a fixed IP in vlan 1.

There was one Instant cluster of about 50 IAP-135 access points, with the following SSID's:
    - EMPLOYEES: Radius authentication, client vlan assignment: default vlan, client ip assignment: network assigned (fixed IP's)
    - PUBLIC: portal authentication, client ip assignment: Virtual controller assigned (internal dhcp)
    - SMARTPHONES: WPA2, client vlan assignment: static vlan 20, client ip assignment: network assigned (external dhcp)

As he wanted different SSID's on different sites I've split the cluster in several small clusters. I've done that by putting the AP's in a seperate native vlan.

This worked fine, for the PUBLIC and SMARTPHONES SSID's, but not for the EMPLOYEES SSID.
    As the default (native) vlan wasn't 1 anymore I adjusted the EMPLOYEES SSID to 'client vlan assignment: static vlan 1' (tagged in vlan 1).

But this doesn't seem to work. Somehow it seems impossible to tag VLAN 1 on the SSID / VC.

As I wanted to put the VC controller management IP in VLAN 1 (as all other devices) I've specified this as such in the <system> tab on the VC. After that I completely lost connection with the virtual controller.
    The access points of that particular cluster were still accessible via their IP in the native vlan of the cluster.

EX:
    cluster 100:
    IAP101: 192.168.100.1 / 24
    IPA102: 192.168.100.2 / 24
    untagged: vlan 100, tagged vlan 1, 20
    Virtual Controller: 192.168.100.100 255.255.255.255 -> VC reachable
    Virtual Controller: 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0 vlan 1 ---> after this setting no longer reachable

cluster 200:
    IAP101: 192.168.200.1 / 24
    IPA102: 192.168.200.2 / 24
    untagged: vlan 200, tagged vlan 1, 20

• 24.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Sep 23, 2014 11:22 AM
    Hi, the VLAN bug still exist. I met it again with IAP-103 with AaubaOS 6.4.0.3-4.1.0.1. It will be fixed in later versions by Aruba??? Massimo

• 25.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Sep 30, 2014 08:10 AM

dear,

do the bug steal exist or not . have you contact the Aruba support or not.

• 26.  RE: VLAN tagging issue with IAP

Posted Sep 30, 2014 08:14 AM

Hi

I'm not sure if it's a 'bug' or by design, but is isn't possible to tag vlan 1.

As the customer didn't have a support contract, Aruba support couldn't help me.

Br

Peter