Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

What's your largest IAP cluster?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  What's your largest IAP cluster?

Posted Jul 15, 2014 10:21 PM

Hi All,

I'm curious to know how far anybody has pushed an IAP cluster in terms of number of AP's in a single cluster.

I'm aware the product is "unlimited" but would really like to hear experiences of customers who may have gone to 100+

Me personally, i've deployed 77 as my largest and it works great!

Scott

• 2.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 15, 2014 10:36 PM

• 3.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

Posted Jul 15, 2014 11:12 PM

Great topic!

But guys it would be good if you said what models are in your cluster?

Are they are just ap 225?

Are they 170 AP 103 and 6 225???

Also how many devices do you have in a high traffic hour in your clusters?

That information would be useful :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2014 11:17 AM

Victor,

Do you know many devices were connected to that cluster?

I see now it mentions in the User Guide

As of Instant 4.1 relelase, Aruba recommends that networks with more than 128 APs should be designed as
    multiple, smaller virtual-controller networks with Layer-3 mobility enabled between them.

I can't seem to find any sort of scalability guide in terms of number of clients, auths per sec and such like for the different AP models.

I am looking to deploy a cluster of 95, but thinking maybe I need to break that into separate ones.

• 5.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

Posted Jul 16, 2014 02:10 PM

I have a cluster consisting of the following.

13 AP 135's

60 AP 104's

73 total AP's running OS 6.4.0.2 - 4.1.0.0, tied to Airwave OS 8.0

Average clients on a daily basis is around 400 users.  We had a spike of 1400 users at one point which pretty much brought the system to it's knees.

• 6.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

Posted Jul 16, 2014 02:27 PM

Deltr0nz-

Sorry to hear you had troubles with the day when you had a high density of clients. Can you share what happened that "brought the system to its knees"?  What was the impact and symptoms?  How were the clients distributed -- were they all clumped together on a small handfull of APs or were they evenly distributed across all 73 APs? 20 clients per AP should not cause any problems.   What was the authentication?  Is it possible this was a Radius server issue or was the network using PSK?

• 7.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

Posted Jul 16, 2014 02:39 PM

It was a unique scenario where almost a 1000 users were all on one level of the hotel "Conference Rooms" as it was supposed to be an outside conference and the snow in June pushed it inside for two days.  The Conference area are all AP 135's, 10 of them to be exact and it was a combination of overload on the AP's and I believe the VC as well.  Currently the VC is doing everything including being a DHCP server.  I do know that this is not all on the hardware as it was brought down due to the amount of devices connecting in a small area at the same time.

• 8.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2014 05:22 AM

This is really good feedback.

I'm going to have about 85 AP225.  Probably eventually up to 1000 users, spread over them all.

I'm inclined to have one of the AP225 as an air monitor in the server rack and acting as preferred master.  Sort of a mini dedicated controller.  What's your thoughts?

#AP225

• 9.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

Posted Jul 18, 2014 01:15 PM

At the time of the deployment we had about 500-600 Clients connected and didn't see any issues .

3 SSIDs 

IAP225

ClearPass for Guest/802.1X

• 10.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

Posted Jul 18, 2014 06:23 PM

Victor this is an additional info for your 176 cluster?

I mean this?

3 SSIDs 

IAP225

ClearPass for Guest/802.1X

Cheers

Carlos

• 11.  RE: What's your largest IAP cluster?

Posted Jul 18, 2014 06:28 PM

Anyone having clusters of ap 103s? anyone? im wondering how much ap 103 you would be able to have in a cluster withut issues...

Anyone has a cluster something like 50 IAP 103 and 2 IAP 225(as clusters masters?) or something like that?

Mixing low resourses IAPs with high resourses IAP as clusters masters??

I would like to hear if anyone got luck with something like that?

Anyone???

Cheers

Carlos