Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

Posted Oct 07, 2015 02:49 PM

I just received an Arube IAP-225 wireless access point.

I have an older laptop with wireless G.  My office mate has wireless a/c.

I installed and configured the access point which is connected to a netgear nighthawk router.

My office mate can reach speeds of up to 100Mbps while i'm only getting .54Mbps at best.  I placed my laptop directly next to the access point and was still only getting 4Mbps.  Am I doing something wrong?

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 07, 2015 02:52 PM

1.  802.11ac is many times faster than 802.11g

2.  802.11a/c has less interference than 802.11g

3.  Your 802.11g card drivers have probably not been tested or Q/A'ed against an 802.11n or 802.11ac access point and is probably not optimized.

4.  You should try updating the driver on your wireless card, to see if there is an improvement.

• 3.  RE: Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

Posted Oct 07, 2015 03:07 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.  I have updated the drivers.

Also, if I turn on the wifi capabilities of my netgear nighthawk router and connect wirelessly I get much faster speeds than the access point.  

I'm wondering if there is a setting that needs to be tweaked?  I was under the impression that the aruba IAP-225 was pretty much plug and play minus a few easy steps (eg, IP address, gateway, SSID, etc)

• 4.  RE: Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 07, 2015 04:19 PM

There could be a number of external factors causing you to have poor performance.  Below is the only setting that I would advise you to change:

filter.png

• 5.  RE: Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

Posted Oct 16, 2015 02:11 PM

Thank you for the reply.  We purchased 4 IAP-225 access points.  I unboxed another AP and decided to do the minimum settings (static ip, gateway, dns, and assign a name to the AP, SSID and password).

I then changed the setting suggesting in your reply to Broadcast Filtering = ALL

I am still only reaching connection speeds of 2.2mbps down and 4.5mbps up.  The access point is literally on my desk beside my laptop.  

If i disconnect from the SSID and re-enable wireless on the netgear nighthawk router and connect (it's located in another room)....I can reach speeds of 11mbps down/up.

I'm at a complete loss as to why my laptop with a wireless G antenna will get a better connection from the router located in another room than with the aruba IAP-225 sitting right next to it.

• 6.  RE: Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 16, 2015 03:42 PM
    They could be on different channels and the channel the Aruba is on could be bad.

• 7.  RE: Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

Posted Oct 25, 2015 06:26 AM

im not quite sure that testing with the AP sitting next to the client is such a good test. that isn't really a normal situation. if you want to compare you should at least make sure of as identical as possible situation.

still things like this are difficult to troubleshoot / find out via a forum, if you bought the APs with support you might contact TAC and see if they can work with you on it.