Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Why is my RADIUS accounting not working? Instant Virtual Controller.

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  Why is my RADIUS accounting not working? Instant Virtual Controller.

Posted Aug 14, 2020 01:08 PM

Hello all,

On the virtual controller I have a radius server setup for one of the networks.  Accounting is ticked therefore I thought that I should see accounting messages heading towards my Radius box.  Not a thing.

Is there some trick I'm missing or does accounting have to be enabled somewhere else?

Cheers

Jon

• 2.  RE: Why is my RADIUS accounting not working? Instant Virtual Controller.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2020 10:22 PM

when you enable RADIUS accounting for a Wireless network, you 'll get an option for

- use authentication server

- use separate servers

which one did you select?

• 3.  RE: Why is my RADIUS accounting not working? Instant Virtual Controller.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2020 12:51 AM

As mentioned you will want to select Use authentication servers for the Accounting setting under the Security tab in the network you are configuring. Also set the Accounting interval to whatever suits your needs.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 2.32.27 pm.png

By setting the above configuration in the GUI you would see the corresponding configuration (below) under the wlan ssid-profile you changed:

radius-accounting
    radius-interim-accounting-interval 10

• 4.  RE: Why is my RADIUS accounting not working? Instant Virtual Controller.

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 17, 2020 04:05 AM

Any chance you can post the output of the below command? This shows the authentication trace information and will show you if the IAP is sending RADIUS Accounting.

show ap debug auth-trace-buf

• 5.  RE: Why is my RADIUS accounting not working? Instant Virtual Controller.

Posted Aug 17, 2020 05:02 AM

AHA!

I had EAP Offload enabled which meant the options did not show up.

Switching it off started the accounting flow.

Happy days.

Thank you for the pointer.