Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

Posted May 05, 2017 02:14 AM

Hey all,

Scenario as follows;

D-Link DAP2690 wireless AP plugged into a cisco router via ethernet cable. The DAP2690 is broadcasting different SSID's on 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands as if it's a normal wireless AP.

The Aruba IAP-215 I wish to use with Wifi uplink in another room in the building that I cannot get ethernet cabling run to. I have configured the Aruba IAP-215 via the GUI with 5GHz wifi uplink settings (the SSID of the D-Link, passphrase, correct security settings etc) and I tried with preemption on/off and even forcing Wifi uplink/setting wifi uplink priority higher than ethernet.

I rebooted the AP, I've tried putting the AP in standalone mode, made sure I configured a new SSID and deleted the "instant" SSID. When I SSH to debug i get the correct configuration if I do the following commands:

show wifi-uplink configuration

If I do show wifi-uplink status I see:

"configured yes"

"enabled no"

if I do a show wifi-uplink auth I see absolute nothing at all in the logs, as if it's not even attempting to authenticate.

The IAP-215 is running the latest firmware release also. I've read the documentation and read various other threads of people having very little luck getting wifi uplink working.

Any help would be much appreciated, as the next step after getting wifi-uplink working will be to enable eth0 bridging :)

• 2.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2017 04:01 AM

Unfortunately, that is unsupported. From the Aruba Instant User guide:

The Wi-Fi uplink is supported on all the IAP models, except for the 802.11ac IAP models (IAP-2xx Series access points). However only the master IAP uses this uplink. The Wi-Fi allows uplink to open, PSK-CCMP, and PSKTKIP SSIDs.

If you want to create a client-bridge (uplink over wifi, downlink wired), it may be good to look for the Aruba 501 wireless client bridge: http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/access-points/501-wireless-client-bridge/ which is designed specifically for that scenario.

• 3.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

Posted May 05, 2017 05:20 AM

Is this incompatibility documented somewhere?

Is this a firmware issue? Can we expect a fix for AC AP's being able to do wifi Uplink?

• 4.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2017 05:26 AM

Jarryd,

I quoted from the Aruba Instant User Guide (4.3.1 in my case, but it is in there for quite some time), so yes it is documented publically.

I cannot comment on future or roadmap features but have heard this as a feature request before. Please consult your local Aruba SE or Aruba Sales Team for roadmap information or pushing a feature request.

Herman

• 5.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

Posted May 08, 2017 04:46 PM

We have received multiple requests to support Wi-Fi uplink on 11ac APs. We will be evaluating this feature for the roadmap.

• 6.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

Posted Jul 14, 2017 12:43 AM

Wondering if there have been any further developments as to whether this'll be added to the road map?

• 7.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2017 08:29 AM

Please work with your local Aruba SE or CSE to get more details, and to make sure your request (customer name) will be marked on the open request for enhancement.

Roadmap information cannot be discussed on this forum.

• 8.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

Posted May 31, 2018 01:15 PM
      |   view attached

HI
    Does not support
    What is the WiFi-UPLINK feature?

My model:AP303H
    AP-303H Wifi UPLINK did not work

Attachment is my LOG, if you can help me check

Attachment(s)

txt
    LOG.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2018 01:25 PM

@Havy wrote:

HI
    Does not support
    What is the WiFi-UPLINK feature?

My model:AP303H
    AP-303H Wifi UPLINK did not work

Attachment is my LOG, if you can help me check

As of the IAP 6.5 User Guide, Wi-Fi uplink is not supported on 802.11ac IAP models.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_430_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/Uplink_conf/ConfigureWiFIUL.htm?Highlight=Wi-Fi%20Uplink

The IAP 8.3 User Guide expands on this statement to also exclude the AP-3xx models as well as the AP-2xx models originally listed as not supporting the feature.

• 10.  RE: Wifi Uplink IAP215 not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2019 04:34 PM

Hi.

Just an update if anyone are still looking for this.

Seems it is coming in 8.5.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/WiFi-Uplink-feature-with-Instant-8-5/td-p/534619