Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 17, 2014 07:06 AM

Hi guys,

When I connect my laptop to a SSID I set up on my Aruba network (currently consists of 2 APs, with a virtual controller shared between them), it successfully connects to the SSID but picks up the following IP:

My network consists of a Windows DC, acting as the DHCP server connected to a Cisco POE switch.  Both the APs are connected to the same POE switch.  

- All devices are on the same VLAN

- I've already configured options 43 and 60 in the Scope Options as per the guide here - http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/115/3411/1/DHCP_Microsoft_Option43-v1.1.pdf

- All devices have been statically assigned IPs and have entries registered in DNS (including the Aruba virtual controller)

- If I connect the laptop with an ethernet cable directly to the switch, it picks up a dynamically assigned IP on the correct VLAN

I'm racking my brains as to why my laptop can't see the DHCP server when on the WiFI.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Liam

• 2.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2014 07:13 AM
    Are you blocking anything in the user-role?

• 3.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 17, 2014 10:08 AM

Hi Tim,

Do  you mean in Security > Users for Internal Server?  If so, no, nothing is listed there.  If not, can you explain where you mean?  I'm fairly new to Aruba APs so will need a little hand-holding.

Thanks,

Liam

• 4.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 17, 2014 06:18 PM
    Have you statically set the VLAN or chosen virtual Cobtroller assigned during the ssid setup? Also, what's the switch port config look like vlan wise.

• 5.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 20, 2014 06:51 AM

Hi.

Niether, I chose "Network assigned" during the SSID setup, hoping this would pick up another DHCP server on the network.

As regards to the switch, all GigabitEthernet ports are on VLAN100.  The Windows DHCP server is connected to port 1, the Aruba APs are plugged into ports 13 and 14, respectively.

Here's the switch port config I think you're after, with unused ports removed from the list:

Interface                     IP-Address        OK?         Method Status           Protocol

Vlan100                      10.60.100.12    YES          manual up                  up      

FastEthernet0             unassigned      YES          manual down              down    

GigabitEthernet0/1      unassigned      YES           unset  up                    up       

GigabitEthernet0/13    unassigned      YES          unset  up                    up      

GigabitEthernet0/14    unassigned      YES          unset  up                    up       

Please let me know if this is not the info you were hoping for.

Thanks,

Liam

• 6.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 20, 2014 08:50 AM
    Did you create an Dhcp relay on the IAP pointing your Dchp server ?

• 7.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 20, 2014 12:30 PM

Possibly not.  How do I do that from the webgui?  I can't see any obvious options from the various menus.

- Liam

• 8.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 20, 2014 12:59 PM

2014-10-20 12_58_24-Instant.png

• 9.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 22, 2014 08:57 AM

Right, I did what you asked with the following details set for my own network but my laptop is still suffering from the same symptoms as before:

Name: VLAN100

VLAN: 100

Helper address: 10.60.100.2

Any other suggestions I may have missed?

- Liam

• 10.  RE: Windows DHCP and Aruba AP-135

Posted Oct 21, 2014 12:12 PM

I've recently started have kind of the same issue. But my issue is that it is sporadic. Say I have a  IAP 135 with 3 users connected on it. One of the users gets the 169.254.x.x address while the other users have an IP in our coroporate DHCP range. The only way i have found to get the user with the "wrong" ip to pick up a valid dhcp IP is to reboot the IAP. Once it come back up they connect and get a valid DHCP IP.

What's weird is its not fixed to one particular IAP nor a particular client nor a particular timeframe, it varies around our IAP infrastucture (we have 38 of them managed by Airwave in 11 different geographic locations) all different times. We can go a few days without any issue, then it one day i have to reboot 3 devices.