Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Yet Another Cloud WLAN Company Sprang to Life

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Yet Another Cloud WLAN Company Sprang to Life

Posted Mar 12, 2014 01:55 PM

I see that another Cloud-controlled WLAN vendor just popped up in the Valley- Relay 2.Given how busy this is space is getting, wondering if anyone sees a future totally without controllers and NMS box farms on the horizon?

What- too soon? A bloke can be wistful, can't he?

-Lee

• 2.  RE: Yet Another Cloud WLAN Company Sprang to Life

Posted Mar 12, 2014 10:43 PM

@Lee Badman wrote:

I see that another Cloud-controlled WLAN vendor just popped up in the Valley- Relay 2.Given how busy this is space is getting, wondering if anyone sees a future totally without controllers and NMS box farms on the horizon?

What- too soon? A bloke can be wistful, can't he?

-Lee

Yes, it's happening already today in the retail vertical and small/medium office environments.  No horizon needed.

In campus environments, I don't think there is a huge need in the near horizon, especially if you have something deployed and it's working.  I don't see the need to rip them out and go "controllerless".  For green field, maybe, but not really sure what you gain.  There's short comings in "controllerless" architectures right now traditional controller-based has the most flexibility which can be important in a diverse campus environment.  For campus and SP, I'd see the near horizon bringing more of an SDN approach.  You will still need a "controller" for that though :-)

My answer would be it depends.  Depends on your environment and requirements.