Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 12, 2020 07:47 AM

Hello everyone,

we have a Wireless Network of 38 Aruba 207 iAPs distributed throughout a building.They are all visible in the Virtual Controller WebGUI.

In one area, Users were complaining about a spotty to non existant Wifi connection, and we found that the AP located there was seemingly not sending any signal.This AP is the preferred Master.

When I try to connect to any SSID while standing next to it, the connection can't get established. After connecting elsewhere, using the Aruba Utilities App, I get fully peaked bars for dBm when I walk to every AP on the same floor, except this one. My phone will not connect to it. I will keep my connection with the closest other AP.

I also noticed that for every AP except the Master, the graph for Neighboring APs looks like this:

2020-03-12 12_26_57-ITZ-UHD-LAN-04 - Keller auf 172.16.10.6.png

For this one AP it looks like this:

2020-03-12 12_28_29-ITZ-UHD-LAN-04 - Keller auf 172.16.10.6.png

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

• 2.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2020 08:08 AM

Make sure the user VLANs are trunked to that AP 

• 3.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 12, 2020 09:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just made sure that the switch port that connects this AP has the same VLAN configuration as the working APs, included tags. Looks fine.

Any other ideas?

• 4.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2020 09:35 AM

It almost seems like the master is not part of the cluster.  When did this start happening?  Maybe you should remove the Preferred Master designation from that AP and reboot it and see if it fixes it.

• 5.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 23, 2020 12:29 PM

Sadly, this did not fix the issue. Now the new master has the same problem.

At least I can move the 'blind spot' in the wireless network to a less vital part of the building.

As far as we can tell, this problem exists in one form or another since installation in august by a former coworker. Could this be related to NTP? I noticed that the logs have entries dated January 1970.

• 6.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 23, 2020 12:52 PM

Hi, 

Which version you are running on 207? also you can always set the time to correct one and its highly recommended to use accurate time on all network devices. 

• 7.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 23, 2020 01:22 PM

Thanks for the reply Ronin101,

the APs running Aruba OS 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.0.

I will troubleshoot the NTP configuration next.

• 8.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 23, 2020 01:43 PM

Hi, 

If this is happening to any AP that becomes the Master AP, you may need to check if its burdened with some management tasks. 

Not to say it matters but are you doing DHCP and CP with many users using these services? 

• 9.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 24, 2020 06:06 AM

CPU-Load is hovering aroung 10% on the master, the Firewall is handlng DHCP for the wireless networks and the AP management VLAN.

I have fixed the NTP configuration and implemented a virtual IP address for the controller, but the problem persist.

• 10.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 24, 2020 06:18 AM
    Hi,

To recap, this problem occurs if you power off the master AP and let any
    other AP become the Master AP (VC) ?

• 11.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 24, 2020 06:44 AM

Also, have you tried upgrading the cluster? 

• 12.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 24, 2020 01:33 PM

I tried this and it seems to have worked. The auto elected master behaves normally. In earlier attempts I had designated another AP to be preferred.

I'm off for today, will check in tomorrow after testing.

• 13.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Mar 25, 2020 02:36 PM

The issue really was resolved that easily. Thank you for your help!

• 14.  RE: iAP 207 Master seemingly sends no signal, sees no valid Neighbors

Posted Dec 08, 2021 12:06 PM
    Hello,
    I am currently having a huge issue and was hoping someone will help me here. I have a cluster of 34 instant AP. Users authenticate through a windows radius server but all the IAP are been profiled via clearpass and assigned to the correct VLAN. We created policies/service for the Guest Access and after reordering the services, the problem started. There isnt any problem/error when i checked the access tracker in clearpass.
    However, the wifi signal has gone bad. When users try to connect, they stay on CONNECTING. Today Users were been disconnected non-stop and the wifi signal has become extremely bad in some areas of the building. Can someone help me with this...Thanks in advance 

------------------------------
    Emmanuel Egbewatt
    ------------------------------