Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iAP "prefered master" question

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  iAP "prefered master" question

Posted Mar 18, 2016 07:54 PM

I started reading the iAP VRD and got to page 15 before a question occured to me.

(some background: I'm also on the security team, and tend to think like a hacker)

If I have a cluster of iAP at a location and a bad-guy wanted to hijack my WLAN, would connecting a maliciously configured iAP with the prefered-master box checked effectively hijack my cluster if I haven't checked that box?

• 2.  RE: iAP "prefered master" question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 07:54 PM

Yes, if he has access to the IAP management VLAN.

• 3.  RE: iAP "prefered master" question
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 18, 2016 07:58 PM

Joy.

Of course I protect access to that VLAN so it'll be hard to get access. The most likely scenario would be to pull down one of my iAP and plug in his own.

If I don't allow new iAP to auto-join, will the bad-guy's iAP just form its own cluster and leave mine alone?

Also, I set Airwave management in DHCP, will that allow me to hijack bad-guy's iAP?

• 4.  RE: iAP "prefered master" question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 08:03 PM

You would have to accept the attacker's AP in the New AP list for that to happen.  Only whitlisted APS are automatically managed by Airwave.

• 5.  RE: iAP "prefered master" question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 08:30 PM
    Authenticating your edge network would prevent someone from pulling one down and getting on.

Sent from Nine<>

• 6.  RE: iAP "prefered master" question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 07:58 PM
    This is why edge network security is important :)

Sent from Nine<>