Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iAP to iAP traffic

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  iAP to iAP traffic

Posted Aug 08, 2016 03:26 PM

I have several branches with iAP's and need them to see the master iAP at HQ.  I have my virtual controller setup but I cannot get the branch iAP's to communicate to the master.  I tried GRE but cannot get that working either.  This really should be simple.  The branch iAP's can ping the master iAP and the virtual controller IP.  The Branch iAP's are on the same Cisco VLAN as the master iAP but they are different subnets.

• 2.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2016 03:28 PM

I'm not sure how two devices can be on the same VLAN but in different subnets unless you are super-netting a VLAN. Might be better to say the IAPs need to be in the same broadcast domain, ala in the same network. If they are in differrent routed networks, that will have to be corrected so that they share the same L2. 

• 3.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

Posted Aug 08, 2016 03:49 PM

AP1 is at site1 on network 10.1.85.1

AP2 is at site2 on network 10.10.85.1

• 4.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2016 04:00 PM

So what is the netmask for each? If it's not 255.0.0.0, then they are on different subnets and they won't form a cluster. 

• 5.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

Posted Aug 09, 2016 03:13 PM

I have them both on 255.0.0.0 but now I cannot access the virtual controller IP nor the AP on network 1.  I can only access the AP on network 2 and it cannot see the AP on network 1.

• 6.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

Posted Aug 09, 2016 03:14 PM

I can ping AP1 from AP2.  Is there something I have to build between them?

• 7.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2016 03:53 PM

One AP has to be rebooted so that it can join the other cluster on their management subnet.  

• 8.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

Posted Aug 09, 2016 05:19 PM

Do I have to do something to make them create a cluster?

I don't understand if they can see eachother why are they both trying to be the master and not acknowledging eachother.

• 9.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2016 06:49 PM

The question is, what are you trying to do?  Are you trying to manage IAPs that cross different sites?  Each cluster should only really be at a single site....

• 10.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

Posted Aug 10, 2016 10:34 AM

Yes.  I need to manage multiple sites.  All of our wireless traffic comes to the main office and I need it to go to a firewall that is connected to a cable modem.

Currently we have Cisco controller and AP's.  I am wanting to replace this with Aruba iAP's.

The current controller has the AP's on a VLAN and it directs traffic to the firewall to get all wireless traffic out that connection.

• 11.  RE: iAP to iAP traffic

Posted Aug 18, 2016 02:01 PM

The iAP clusters form in a Layer-2 domain, unless you're bridging your remote locations together each location will have a local cluster.

That's where a management tool like AirWave or Aruba's cloud-service come in.

A template in the management tool will let you set all clusters up with a common SSID and settings so you won't need to manage them separately.