Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iap104 external antenna configuration

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 01:29 PM

Hi,

I am having some problems configuring an IAP-104 with two Aruba ANT-17. i was told to put the values 6 db for 2,4ghz and 5 db for 5 ghz under the external antenna tab. All done but i´m still not decent signals. Am i doing something wrong here? I am using software version 6.2.1.0.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 02:45 PM

Those are the correct settings for that antenna.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/ap-ant-17_ss.pdf

are you getting any signal at all?  are you using extension cables? be sure all three tails are seated and screwed in well.

• 3.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 03:12 PM

Can you snap a picture showing which antenna leads you are connecting to which antenna posts on the AP?

It may also be helpful if you can snap a pic showing how the -17 is mounted and what the intended coverage are is.

• 4.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 03:32 PM

On pic left.jpg i am using the right and the middle connector. This antenna is supposed to cover some cabins 20 m straight ahead

On pic right.jpg i am using the left and the middle connector. This antenna is supposed to cover cabins 35m ahead.

I´ll get back with the pic from the IAP-104

• 5.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 03:40 PM

One the antenna -- you should use the two outer connectors when attaching to a 2x2 AP as shown below:

On the AP -- make sure you have the antennas connected as follows (labeling on the back of the AP):

For the first antenna:

R0/A0: Radio 0 (5GHz), chain 0
    R0/A1: Radio 0 (5GHz), chain 1

For the second antenna:
    R1/A0: Radio 1 (2.4GHz), chain 0
    R1/A1: Radio 1 (2.4GHz), chain 1

How to connect AP92 to ANT17 or ANT18.jpg

• 6.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 04:20 PM

ooh, ok i´m testing this now

• 7.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 05:22 PM

For the first antenna:

R0/A0: Radio 0 (5GHz), chain 0
    R0/A1: Radio 0 (5GHz), chain 1

For the second antenna:
    R1/A0: Radio 1 (2.4GHz), chain 0
    R1/A1: Radio 1 (2.4GHz), chain 1

So if i understand this right antenna nr 1 will only send 5 ghz and the other 2,4?
    Btw i connected this like the picture, but it didnt make any difference, actually seems like the signal got weaker

• 8.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 05:31 PM

Correct -- one antenna is dedicated to 5Ghz and both leads must be connected.  The second antenna will be for 2.4Ghz only and must also have both leads connected.   You cannot split the radios connectors to try to make one antenna do both 2.4 and 5 as this cust transmit power in half and also confuses the receiver.

How did you have the antennas connected before?  If they were split then, if anything, the power should have gone up.  Where are you taking your measurement?  Remember that the higher frequencies attenuate more rapidly than the lower frequencies.  As such you would want the antenna with the greater distance to the cabins to be on the 2.4Ghz radio.  Going 30meters then penetrating inside the cabins may be pushing it depending on the thickness of the walls.

If you need both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to go to the cabins then you need two APs.  The AP-114 and AP-134 are both 3x3:3 and have the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios muxed on the same connector.

• 9.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 06:05 PM

Ok so i should have bought the AP-114 or AP-134 instead. Maybe i should consider replacing the IAP104.

If i use the AP-114 or AP-134 and connect all three cables from each Ant-17, will they both transmit 2,4 and 5 ghz?

I am measuring from the cabins that are 20 m from the antenna nr 1, which is now on the 2,4 ghz (i´ve testet both 2,4 and 5 ghz).

I am running the IAP on POE, do you it makes any difference with a regular power adaptor you think?

• 10.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 27, 2013 12:15 PM

If the cabins do need both 2.4 and 5Ghz then you do need two AP's (assuming they are off in different directions from each other and one AP would not cover both areas).

With either the AP-114 or AP-135 there are 3 RPSMA connectors that serve both radios so only one ANT-17 is needed and it will txmit both 2.4 adn 5Ghz.

So long as you are getting standard 802.3af PoE on the AP-105 that is fine.  There will be no difference between PoE or a power adaptor.

Also, stating the obvious, make sure you have good clear line of sight between the ANT-17 and the cabins.  I could not tell what your mounting height is from the photos but the -17 has a slight downtilt so you may want to have it up a little high -- above peoples heads and out of the way say 10 - 12 ft.  Also, you might take a look to see what ARM is doing and make sure that it has not turned down the Tx power.  You can override ARM by changing the Min / Max transmit power under the RF settings.  You can also see what ARM is doing by going uner the Support tab then execute the "show AP ARM ..... " commands.

• 11.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Oct 01, 2013 05:47 AM

Sorry for beeing slow with the feedback,

Turning off ARM seemed to help yes, also i pointed the 5 ghz towards the nearest cabins and the 2,4 towards the others. Also mounted the antenna 10-12 feet hight. It works nicely now. Next time i think i´ll use the AP-114 or Ap-135.

Thanks for your valuable help Marcus!

• 12.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Jan 22, 2014 09:39 AM

For those distances you could consider the Aruba AP-ANT-18, which has a narrower 3dB beamwidth and consequently higher gain.

I'd prefer the AP-114 as well as there's many clients (cell phones) still not utilizing the 5GHz band, even though separating the bands to serve two different directions from a single AP surely saves you some money.

• 13.  RE: iap104 external antenna configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2013 03:25 PM

Yep,  followed those instructions, im getting signal, but not strong. I´m not using any extension cables. The ANT-17 has 3 cables,but i´m only using 2.( 2 from each for connection to the IAP-104)