Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

instant AP dhcp over wifi and VM bridging

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  instant AP dhcp over wifi and VM bridging

Posted Feb 04, 2020 06:14 AM

hi folks,

maybe you can help with my issue.

i have a virtual machine host (laptop over wifi) with Oracle Virtual Box 6.0 installed and few VMs (linux/windows).

I also have a typical WPA-based wlan network and Aruba IAP (335 in my lab). One simple vlan, where our gateway (juniper L3 switch) does routing/DHCP services etc. No ACL-s configured. DHCP enforce is not enabled on SSID.

VMs in NAT mode work okay. host will get it's IP over dhcp and then provide it's own networking for vms.

but in bridged mode, VMs don't receive DHCP adressing. I wiresharked and vms send dhcp discovers out, but no offers received. Bridging actually works, as when i enter static IP addressing on VMs, they get correct access. they don't appear as clients connected to AP though (like wired clients would when ).

So TL;DR something restricts dhcp messages passing through Aruba IAP radio interfaces, when dhcp discovery is sent NOT by the wireless client itself, but the client thats bridged behind this wireless client.

I used two fw versions: latest 8.6.0.2 and prior to that 8.5.0.2. Same behaviour.

as soon as i connect to another wlan (just a regular ISP homegrade cpe with wifi), bridging with dhcp addressing works fine on same VMs.

• 2.  RE: instant AP dhcp over wifi and VM bridging
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2020 05:32 PM

is the boradcast filtering knob on the WLAN disabled?

also goto configuration->Network page and ->show advance options->

under misc section you'll see "Max IPv4 users", the default is 2, so increase it to the appropriate number for your env.

• 3.  RE: instant AP dhcp over wifi and VM bridging

Posted Feb 05, 2020 03:09 AM

disabling broadcast filtering did it. honestly, should have thought about it myself. shame on me. thanks!

but, just for info. There is "Max IPv4 users" settings under web GUI for instant controller (locally managed), but there ISNT such option for Instant GUI configuration under Aruba Airwave. It just doesn't exist. aaargh. there are sadly still some features, that cannot be used with airwave/instant gui settings combo.