Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

instant webpage does not open from clients SSID and VLAN

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  instant webpage does not open from clients SSID and VLAN

Posted Sep 16, 2016 07:07 AM

Hi everone,

I am new to the forums.

I have a small problem with my new network. If I remember correctly, last time I was to configure Aruba Insant network I did not encounter problems like this. I am not sure whether this is my firewall or IAP configuration.

I have a management, guest and office vlans. APs get DHCP assigned IP, VC has static IP assigned, management PC also DHCP IP, no routing outside.

From inside management VLAN instant.arubanetworks.com is not resolved at all

From inside office VLAN instant.arubanetworks.com is resolved and points to the IP of an AP that is an actual controller (not VC IP), but instant web does not open.

My router is Fortigate 60D, there is a policy for office VLAN to allow all traffic right now.

Where do you think my problem is? I can manage my network using VC IP, but I would like to have access through instant domain name.

• 2.  RE: instant webpage does not open from clients SSID and VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2016 07:58 AM

Instant.arubanetworks.com would only be resolved if you are on the wireless LAN.  If it is resolved and you cannot open the page, there are a number of reasons why it would not work, like it is blocked, etc.

• 3.  RE: instant webpage does not open from clients SSID and VLAN

Posted Sep 16, 2016 08:57 AM

Thank you for your fast reply.

I think I have asked prematurely and actually not the way I should.

Are you able to explain to me how the instant management portal is designed and how it works? What network requirements must be fulfilled?

• 4.  RE: instant webpage does not open from clients SSID and VLAN
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2016 12:04 PM

In short, the instant.arubanetworks.com page works similar to captive portal:

- Client send DNS request for instant.arubanetworks.com

- Controller/VC intercepts that request and returns its own IP

- Client connects to the virtual controller web interface over HTTP

- Client gets redirected to https://instant.arubanetworks.com:4343/

So, the client needs to get an IP, and DNS requests need to go through the Aruba AP to make it work.

If you know the IP of the VC, you can go to there as well: https://<ip-of-the-vc>:4343/ ; that can be done from the LAN side as well if you have routing to the VC's IP address.

Does this help??

• 5.  RE: instant webpage does not open from clients SSID and VLAN

Posted Sep 19, 2016 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot.

If I understand correctly VC controller IP is being pointed by instant.arubanetworks.com:4343. There must be a routing configured if APs management interfaces and associated clients are in different subnets, right?