Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

"Preferred Band" vs. Per-SSID Bands vs. Band Steering

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  "Preferred Band" vs. Per-SSID Bands vs. Band Steering

Posted Dec 07, 2012 08:44 PM

I think I understand how each of these works individually, but I need some clarification on how they affect each other.

For example: We have ten IAP-93s and two IAP-105s. We have one SSID. If I set the preferred band to 2.4Ghz and the SSID Band to "all," the IAP-93s would use 2.4Ghz. Now, what band would the IAP-93s use if I changed the SSID band to 5Ghz, so it directly conflicts with the preferred band? 

What if both "Preferred Band" and the per-SSID Band were set to "all," how would the IAP-93s choose a band when they boot up?

Lastly, I assume Band Steering would be the least influential and I assume it would have no effect on single-radio APs. Is this true?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: "Preferred Band" vs. Per-SSID Bands vs. Band Steering

Posted Dec 08, 2012 09:21 AM

Preferred Band will prefer one band over another for a single-radio AP; Per-SSID Band specifies the bands you would like to broadcast on for a particular SSID (so, if more than one radio AP, select a particular band or all bands); Band Steering will steer the wireless clients to the preferred band (if you prefer 5Ghz,then all or most clients with a 802.11a radio will connect to 5Ghz radio, while all other clients will connect to 802.11g/2.4Ghz radio).

As for the AP-93 question, if the preffered band is set to 2.4Ghz, but SSID is set to 5Ghz, then the AP-93s will not broadcast anything.  It is my understanding that, if both options are set to all bands, the single-radio AP will be dynamic; some may choose the 2.4Ghz and others may choose 5Ghz based on the clients in the area.

If band steering is enabled, it will have no effect on single-radio APs.  Clients will just connect to whatever band the AP is broadcasting on.

• 3.  RE: "Preferred Band" vs. Per-SSID Bands vs. Band Steering

Posted Dec 11, 2012 07:03 PM

@adaptjt wrote:

Preferred Band will prefer one band over another for a single-radio AP; Per-SSID Band specifies the bands you would like to broadcast on for a particular SSID (so, if more than one radio AP, select a particular band or all bands); Band Steering will steer the wireless clients to the preferred band (if you prefer 5Ghz,then all or most clients with a 802.11a radio will connect to 5Ghz radio, while all other clients will connect to 802.11g/2.4Ghz radio).

As for the AP-93 question, if the preffered band is set to 2.4Ghz, but SSID is set to 5Ghz, then the AP-93s will not broadcast anything.  It is my understanding that, if both options are set to all bands, the single-radio AP will be dynamic; some may choose the 2.4Ghz and others may choose 5Ghz based on the clients in the area.

If band steering is enabled, it will have no effect on single-radio APs.  Clients will just connect to whatever band the AP is broadcasting on.

Ok, great. That's pretty much what I expected. I'm glad you mentioned the 802.11a clients; I often forget about them. 

As for the AP-93 scenario, that's very interesting! It seems strange, to me, that they would broadcast nothing...but then again, I'm not sure that any other behavior is any more proper in that situation. Glad to have confirmation that they will be dynamic if set to all/all, that supports some odd behavior we saw last week. 

Thanks for your help!