Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

ssid zones questions

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ssid zones questions

Posted Mar 07, 2016 03:47 PM

Hello guys!

In this client we got  3 zones

zone A = SSID A

zone B = SSID B

zone C = SSID C and SSID D

Rigth now they have been working just fine 

Now they got a new requerement in which they want that on zone C they have:

Zone C = SSID B, SSID C and SSID D

Is that possible?

Can i have 1 SSID in 2 different zones?

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: ssid zones questions
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2016 03:58 PM
    Unfortunately not possible today

Sent from Outlook for iPhone

• 3.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Mar 07, 2016 04:37 PM

• 4.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted May 11, 2017 11:13 AM

I would love to submit for this case.  We too use multiple zones and need to have functionality of two zones on one AP in special cases.  However, the link doesn't take me to a place where I can submit anything.  I get an Single Sign on error.

• 5.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Jun 23, 2017 07:28 AM

Your link doesn't work for me either, but I NEED multiple zones too

• 6.  RE: ssid zones questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

Search for or create your own idea to vote on here:  https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/cp/ideas/ideaList.apexp

• 7.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Jun 26, 2017 05:39 AM

Hi.

That link doesn't work for me. After login it sais "We can't log you in. Check for an invalid assertion in the SAML Assertion Validator (available in Single Sign-On Settings) or check the login history for failed logins."

• 8.  RE: ssid zones questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2017 09:13 AM

Since that does not work, you can file a request with your local Aruba person or I can simply point the Instant people to this thread...

• 9.  RE: ssid zones questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2017 09:27 AM

@Itsmp wrote:

Your link doesn't work for me either, but I NEED multiple zones too

Can you please detail the use case for multiple zones and how large your deployment is?

• 10.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Jun 26, 2017 09:48 AM

I'm the IT manager of a school.

We are going to install around 40 APs this year. 

I have 3 student network (8-11;12-15;16-18), one teacher network, and 3 guest ones (meetingroom 1, musicroom, hall).

I can make one only guest network but it isn't my first option.

In the 16-18 zone i have 5 APs now, but they will be 13 by the end of next year. 4 of them should show the student SSID and the teachers one, but the last one is in a room that we rent for external use so I need it to show one of the guest networks.

In the 12-15 area I have 8 APs. 7 of them should show the 12-15SSID and the teachers one, but the las one need to publish a guest network too.

Something similar happends with the 2-11 network.

The only way I have to solve this is by adding 2 zones to the AP that publish the guest network, one for the age zone and one for the guest one.

Any idea on how I can solve it?

Regards

• 11.  RE: ssid zones questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2017 04:56 PM

Well, before I suggest anything, a couple questions:

What encryption is the 8-11, 12-15 and 16-18 networks?

Are they all on the same subnet?

How do they differ from the teacher network?

Is the guest network a captive portal?

• 12.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Jun 28, 2017 04:26 PM

Hi.
    Each age network is in a diferent VLAN, so are the teachers and guest ones. No cautive portal are configured. Encription is WPA2

Thanks for your help

• 13.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Jul 03, 2017 04:14 PM
    Any clue on how to accomplish this?

• 14.  RE: ssid zones questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2017 06:19 PM

I don't see a problem publishing all SSIDs everywhere, so that you would be covered operationally.

• 15.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Jul 10, 2017 04:50 AM

Has there been any more progress on this? I'm very interested in being able to utilise this feature. I would like to be able to place certain SSIDs in particular areas of the campus e.g. Secure and Guest/ Secure and Residential. 

• 16.  RE: ssid zones questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 10, 2017 06:59 AM

If you have a specific question about your deployment and how you can and cannot broadcasts SSIDs, you should open a TAC case.  In general, nothing has changed with this feature, but there are ways you can accomplish what you need, depending on the deployment.  Directions for deploying an SSID to a Zone is here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-broadcast-ESSID-specific-to-Single-IAP-in-a-cluster/ta-p/192969

• 17.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Jul 10, 2017 07:10 AM

CJoseph, thanks for this information. To clarify, am I able to use the same SSIDs across different zones? e.g. My secure ID could be used in both Zone1 and Zone2 - I would not have to create a seperate SSID for each?

• 18.  RE: ssid zones questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 10, 2017 07:15 AM

From the article that was just linked:

1. An IAP can belong to only one zone and only one zone can be configured on an SSID.
    2.  If an SSID belongs to a zone, all IAPs in this zone can broadcast this SSID. If no IAP belongs to the zone configured on the SSID, the SSID is not broadcast.
    3.  If an SSID does not belong to any zone, all IAPs can broadcast this SSID.

For the SSID to be assigned to an IAP, the same zone details must be configured on the SSID. 

• 19.  RE: ssid zones questions

Posted Mar 08, 2016 09:08 AM

Thanks 

Just wanted confirmation on that.

Guess ill have to put those 2 single APS in another cluster and do a L3 Roaming... guess is the only solution i find... too bad it will divide the managment in 2 clusters.

Cheers

Carlos