Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

trunk port IAP

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  trunk port IAP

Posted Mar 07, 2014 09:03 AM

Hi

Ive read a lot of post regarding this but still dont understand trunking on an IAP

I have a port with vlan 101, 102 and 103. I want all IAPs (13 in total) to be in the vlan 101. Where do i configure so that the iap gets an ip on tha vlan an be manageable? 

Do i have to add the vlans 102 and 103 somewhere in the IAP trusted vlans for it to be able to have an ssid?

Im running version 6.3.1.1-4.0.0.1

thanks

/Carlos

#AP103

• 2.  RE: trunk port IAP

Posted Mar 07, 2014 09:08 AM

Actually this needs to be done on the switchport configuration on your switch and not on the IAP itself.

Let's say I want to trunk the following VLANs (100, 200, 300, 400) and want to pull a DHCP IP off VLAN 200 for the IAP. 

I will need to set VLAN 200 as the native VLAN on the switch so the IAP can pull it's IP address off that subnet. Keep in mind in an IAP environment you will have to replicate this port config to every switchport housing IAP's. Then in the IAP cluster you can configure the VC as a static IP within VLAN 200. 

Basic configuration for Cisco Catalyst:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 200

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,200,300,400

After your IAP's have booted up and received IP's from the correct VLAN (200) ; you can start assigning which VLAN's you want to drop clients on when they associate to SSID's availale on the cluster. You will do that by going under the SSID, under the VLAN tab, selecting Static, and then entering the VLAN tag/number you want to place the client on. Obviously the VLAN needs to be accessible to the IAP (allowed across the trunk). 

Hope this helps!

• 3.  RE: trunk port IAP
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2014 09:10 AM
    Make sure that the native VLAN is 101 on the uplink side

In the port profile configure it as a trunk / uplink / network assigned / native VLAN 101

Then in the virtual controller settings assigned VLAN 101

For the ssid you need to do a static VLAN assignment and it should be network assigned

• 4.  RE: trunk port IAP

Posted Mar 07, 2014 09:14 AM

Hi

thanks for your answers.

Yeah the switch was configured but when i had all vlans as tagged the IAP didnt came up. I had to switch the vlan 101 as untagged for it to work.

I will do as you said, thanks for the quick answers :smileyhappy:

/carlos

• 5.  RE: trunk port IAP

Posted Mar 07, 2014 09:15 AM

Correct in other vendors technology untagged = native .

• 6.  RE: trunk port IAP

Posted Dec 29, 2016 03:30 PM

Follow up to this answer.  I have my port set as a trunk, with native vlan being the network I want my management address on.  The issue I run into is that when I set up my SSID's, if I set a static VLAN for the SSID, it won't hand out DHCP at all.  If I just set the SSID to default/network assigned, the devices all get an address on the management Vlan

Thoughts?

• 7.  RE: trunk port IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 29, 2016 04:47 PM
    The static vlan must be a tagged vlan on the other side of the trunk.