Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

users seeing dropped connections

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  users seeing dropped connections

Posted Apr 24, 2015 11:13 AM

We have been seeing issues with users getting dropped from our wireless network.  We are a mixed Windows / Mac envirnoment with both clients seeing this problem.  We recently switched out of a mixed 802.11n and ac environment.  We are now running only 225 access points in AC mode.

By going to ac only we have seen performance improvements, but the issue with dropped connections remain a major problem.  I recently spoke to a user who had wireless disconnects 4 times in an hour long training session.

All help is appreciated.

#AP225

• 2.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted Apr 24, 2015 11:15 AM

Is this controller based installation or Instant Cluster ?

• 3.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted Apr 24, 2015 11:22 AM
    Should have stated that. We are on an instant cluster. 28 total access
    points in the cluster

--

*Jim McMurchie* | *Smartsheet*
    IT Manager
    *d* 425-324-2266
    jim.mcmurchie@smartsheet.com
    Winner : Best 100 Companies to Work For 2014

www.smartsheet.com

• 4.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted Apr 24, 2015 11:40 AM

I would recommend you do the following :

- Disable 80 Mhz channels under the RF/ARM settings

- Enable broadcast filtering "All" under the SSIDs/Advanced settings

See if this helps you.

A couple of other questions:

- What type of authentication are you using ?

- InstantOS version ?

• 5.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 06, 2015 01:43 PM

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm having a similar issue with users being dropped at random times. It also seems that once it happens to one, it happens to at least a few of them on the same cluster, but connected to different AP's. We also have the IAP-225, but we have 61 in our cluster. When I'm looking at the virtual controller, I'm not seeing anything wrong when the users are reporting outages. I will sometimes get alerts that a DHCP request has timed out and occasionally a RADIUS timeout, but that's fairly typical throughout the day and not limited to when users are experiencing issues (and it's typically not reporting an issue for those clients who have contacted me). Over the 61 AP's, we're typically running in the range of 300-350 clients, the vast majority are Windows, but there are more than a handful of phones/tablets. We're broadcasting out 3 networks, our secured network and 2 guests. The clients we get reports from are on the secured network, but then most of them are connected to that network (I'd say 90% of them).

I did try the suggestion to turn off 80Mhz channels and Enabling Broadcast Filtering, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm willing to post my config if you think it's a setting.

Thanks for any assistance!

• 6.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 09, 2015 11:04 PM

This is probably not your case, BUT...I had an admin at one point who had installed an Instant cluster on VLAN 99 as the native VLAN, then allowed wireless clients to get DHCP on the same subnet - VLAN 99.  

I would've thought this would not work AT ALL, but it worked long enough for the customer to be convinced he'd configured it correctly.  Two weeks later, all Hades broke loose and half of his clients at any given time were falling off the network.  

This may not pertain to your config (and certainly not if TAC has already looked at it) but may remind someone else to check the obvious!

• 7.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 11, 2015 10:12 AM

hey! 

upload the configuration and lets check it out :)

• 8.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 11, 2015 01:23 PM

Hey Bryan

If you need help with your network, I'm glad to help, just upload the configuration and we'll check the configuration out.

/KP-Niklas

• 9.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 11, 2015 02:15 PM
      |   view attached

I've attached my config. We now believe the users are being dropped because of a wired issue that we are having checked out that's also affecting the AP's.

Like the OP, we dropped our minimum transmit power a few weeks ago and, along with the broadcast filtering and disabling 80Mhz channels, it did seem to help. We can't disable 2.4Ghz as we still have some equipment that only have 2.4Ghz radios. We thought that misconfigured rSTP on our wired switches was the culprit Friday, but alas, it has since continued to go down randomly. So maybe it's a mixture of issues.

Please let me know if you see something amiss.

Attachment(s)

txt
    instant.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 10.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 11, 2015 02:36 PM
    The only thing I see that is too different is for some reason we enabled
    broadcast filtering for ARP only. Not sure if this would have any impact
    on you.

If the network dropping is happening frequently, you could drop 2.4 GHz for
    a short period to see if the network stabilizes. I understand your issue,
    we have 4 devices we have to replace to m ake this work.

--

*Jim McMurchie* | *Smartsheet*
    IT Manager
    *d* 425-324-2266
    jim.mcmurchie@smartsheet.com
    Winner : Best 100 Companies to Work For 2014

www.smartsheet.com

• 11.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 11, 2015 02:59 PM

Hi,

Please change you RF settings:

arm
     wide-bands 5ghz
     min-tx-power 6 -SET TO 12
     max-tx-power 127 - SET TO 15
     band-steering-mode prefer-5ghz 
     air-time-fairness-mode fair-access - SET TO Preferred Access
     client-aware
     scanning

See the changes in the RF.  

• 12.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 13, 2015 03:59 PM

I'll give these changes a shot and let you know how we make out.

I do have one question, for the minimum power, I set it low because each of our rooms has an AP, so there's a fair amount of interference, particlularly on the 2.4GHz band where there are limited channels to use. Is there a way to set the TX power of the different radios/bands to different settings? I wouldn't be opposed to turning off an AP's 2.4GHz radios to have a more coverage-over-capacity model on that band, but keep all the AP's 5Ghz radios on as a capacity-over-coverage model.

• 13.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 13, 2015 04:30 PM

Hey,

Don't mind the 2,4 GHz band. It has to be there do not turn it off, you can however use this command in the ARM; 

band-steering-mode force-5ghz

this will force all the clients with 5 ghz radios up on the high band, and everyone is happy. 

• 14.  RE: users seeing dropped connections

Posted May 11, 2015 01:09 PM

Wanted to update the thread with the changes made (by Aruba, Samya is awesome) that seem to have fixed the problem.

1. Reset the 2.4 Ghz channels to standard 1, 6 and 11

2. Lower power output to 6-12

3. remove 80GHz support

4. Disable 2.4 GHz radios completely.

It has been over a week since we put in these configuration changes and we have only one report of anyone being dropped by the network.  Once the dropped connections were sorted, we were able to map two physical areas of poor performance.  In each case we had a poorly performing 225 IAP.  We had sufficient converage to shut down one of the two units, the other we replaced with a spare 115 we had in stock.

Jim