Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

Posted Apr 16, 2014 10:15 AM

I currently have 16 IAP-135 broadcasting 3 SSIDS in my wharehouse, while moving around floor, laptops are not moving from AP to AP, only way to do so is Disconnect and reconnect, I did have changed min. bandwidth set at 1M I have sence changed to 11M, any other suggestions that would help the roaming would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

Posted Apr 16, 2014 02:31 PM

Sure.  It would be good to understand what type of authentication client does while roaming between access points. 

May I know the distance between access points deployed ? I would recommend to do a simple test on open ssid first and have the default config on SSID to see how it goes. Also confirm the firmware version running on it.

Please make sure we are not dropping any packets to default-gateway which will ultimately drop the clients on the WLAN as well.

• 3.  RE: using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

Posted Apr 16, 2014 03:18 PM

Authentication is WPA2 Personal (W\Passphrase)

Distance 120 feet, it's not droping connection just holding from a AP from a distance away (5 AP's between attached and location of user) with a connection speed of 1MEG this is why I bumped min speed to 11Meg min for 2.4 GHZ

Firmwae 6.2.1.0.-3.4.0.5_41337

I did Simple test as you discribed and monitored my VC to check connection movement and seen no movement between AP's

Thanks for Assistance

Tim 

• 4.  RE: using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

Posted Apr 16, 2014 03:30 PM

Got that  &Thanks for the update. This looks like client is sticky. 

You can enable the local-probe-threshold to set to SNR 25 which would help the client to move to the better AP.

Let me know if that helps.

• 5.  RE: using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

Posted Apr 16, 2014 03:53 PM

are you referring to the "Local probe request threshold.... if so I set to 25.... is this correct to your reference.....

Thanks again....

• 6.  RE: using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

Posted Apr 16, 2014 04:23 PM

That`s correct Tim.

• 7.  RE: using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

Posted Apr 17, 2014 11:38 AM

Along with local probe request threshold I'd also look at setting minimum and maximum power settings as then the AP may set it's power more reasonabaly and the client won't hear an AP that's entirely too far away.. I usually do min 12 and max 21 with most RF environments. If it's more dense some will set them at min 12 and max 18. 

• 8.  RE: using IAP-135 not roaming from AP to AP and suggestions

Posted Apr 17, 2014 11:42 AM

What version are you using ? ClientMatch should be able to help