Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

vlan on different SSID

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  vlan on different SSID

Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:02 PM

I'm trying to allow a segment of our users access to a specific VLAN on our network. We currently have two VLANS; VLAN1 - 10.1.0.0/24 network VLAN1000 - 192.168.57.0/24 network. I'm wondering what the best option is to have specific users use VLAN1000 when they connect to the wireless network.

We had a DHCP server that is set to hand out the IPs for the two scopes and it works via wired connection. One thing I've noticed is I have to set the switch port to switchport access vlan1000 if I want them to grab the proper IP. Could this be a hinderance to getting wifi to work? 

Any direction anyone can point me in is greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: vlan on different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:04 PM
    What are you using for a RADIUS server? You can return VLANs and roles based on identity groups and other attributes.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: vlan on different SSID

Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:15 PM

I am not currently using a RADIUS server. What would that setup option look like? Would this be the best option?

• 4.  RE: vlan on different SSID
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:22 PM
    If your users have directory accounts, there are many benefits to using 802.1X for your network.

If you want to stick with what you have today, you can use user derivation rules which will require you to know all of the user's MAC addresses that you want to put into that VLAN.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: vlan on different SSID

Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:25 PM

We have plans to convert over to RADIUS in the future, but that is a larger project on the backlog. Since this is the "in-between" project, what about getting a secondary SSID setup? Where would I find information on how to set that up properly to pull those IPs from the DHCP server?

• 6.  RE: vlan on different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:27 PM
    You would simply assign that VLAN to the virtual-ap for that SSID and any user that connected to that SSID would be dropped into that subnet.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 7.  RE: vlan on different SSID

Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:33 PM

When I try that it doesn't hand out the IP addresses. Do I need to set the switchport information to anything differently than default to allow for the AP to have access to both vlans?

• 8.  RE: vlan on different SSID
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:35 PM
    Sorry just realized you're using Instant. You'll need both VLANs tagged to all of your APs.

• 9.  RE: vlan on different SSID

Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:38 PM

I'm not sure, sorry I was not the original person who set these up, how would I check that?

• 10.  RE: vlan on different SSID

Posted Jul 19, 2015 02:40 PM

that would be something on the switch side. if nothing was changed the IAP will just listen to all VLANs.