Developer Community

Occasional Contributor I

Airwave API - Ansible - timeout issue

I am developing Ansible playbooks and using the Airwave REST API 

The client search URL takes a very long time to return results (few minutes) while client query etc takes a couple of seconds. I understand it causes a longer search. However, in the GUI the results come back quickly if I use the magnifying glass in the top right.

For example, if I use the following in a browser it takes 3-4 minutes:

https://airwave.abc.com/client_search.xml?query=buckrogers@york.ac.uk

If I go to Airwave UI searching for the same thing takes about 10 seconds. The results listed are the same.

My question is if this is expected/the same for everyone?

If using Ansible this query will always timeout and there is no way to prevent this.

Is there a way to get a quicker result using this URL (e.g. limit information to just assocaited devices)?

Ian Nightingale - University of York, UK
MVP Expert

Re: Airwave API - Ansible - timeout issue

Hi,

May be the API query is not really optimized...

it will be a good idea to open a issue on TAC

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5
New Contributor

constantpinger,

Q:My question is if this is expected/the same for everyone?

A:The client search URL doesn't usually take long. It should return a result almost immediately even if you use the URL in the browser or in any script. 

I tried using it in the Ansible script and it returns the result as expected.

Q:Is there a way to get a quicker result using this URL (e.g. limit information to just assocaited devices)?

A:This URL should return a quick response since we are only searching for a single client by providing their username/mac details in the query field.

Also, if you haven't yet checked our Github repo, please visit:

https://github.com/aruba/aruba-ansible-modules

Here, we have sample scripts for most of our products including AirWave.

Occasional Contributor I

Hi nikunjshah

Thank you for the reply. I think you might be confusing 

search.xm  (Provides an interface to AirWave's client search functionality.  This API requires a query string and returns an XML version of the AirWave WebUI's search results.)

and

detail.xml  (Provides detailed information about wireless clients, including a history of associations.  This API requires one or more client MAC addresses.)

The first is what I am using. It looks in all the database tables in Airwave and provides information on a search string. It is the same as when you click the magnifying glass in the top-right on the web UI. I agree the second API returns a single result quickly.

My problem is that if I use the WebUI to search for a string it comes back after 5 seconds. If I use the URL it takes minutes.

Therefore I either need to limit the scope of the search or find a way to optimise it.

Thanks
Ian.

Ian Nightingale - University of York, UK
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: