Posted May 16, 2019 01:27 PM

Hi All,

Is there a way to do a quick POC.

The scenario I would like to test is the following:

1. Device (mobile device) is located in a static location

2. Device should be whitelisted

3. Static location has APs

4. Device will be only communicating to those APs

5. Device sends command (triggers an alarm) --- really not sure if this is possible

6. Clearpass/controllers identify device by AP it is connected to

7. Location is identified (via AP name - i.e. SoutheastEntranceAP1)

8. Notification is sent to another group (SMS/e-mail) that alarm has been triggered

Essentially, this is for producing a panic button type scenario. I suspect a mobile app would need to be produced to trigger the event/alarm on the device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Mobile device as panic button or trigger alarm to Clearpass/controllers

MVP GURU
    Posted May 16, 2019 01:30 PM

Hi,

Don't really need ClearPass...

But only need to query the controller to get the AP where is connected with the MAC address of customer device...

• 3.  RE: Mobile device as panic button or trigger alarm to Clearpass/controllers

Posted May 16, 2019 01:37 PM

Thanks for the fast response.

Actually you made me think about another way to accomplish. Suppose a script was on the device that would connect it to Wi-fi (this would be the trigger event --- in other words the device never connects automatically to wi-fi). Is there a way to program the AP to send notification once the device is connected? I thought it would be easier in Clearpass since it tracks on the whitelisted devices. Also there would be multiple APs in any given location. Having to query for a time-interval period may not be optimal.

Any example you could provide would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Mobile device as panic button or trigger alarm to Clearpass/controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2019 07:32 PM

Hi Altria,

I believe you could use IoT profile (available starting AOS 8.4) to do this.

1) Your device could trigger a bluetooth ibeacon packet.  

2) Aruba AP (in beaconing mode will scan bluetooth beacons) will be assigned to the IoT profile and listen to the packet.

3) Based on the HTTPS/WSS endpoint URL configured in the IoT transport profile, the packet would be forwarded. You could build trigger for alarm application when you receive this packet and process it.

4) You could use ClearPass to whitelist the device for added security. 

IoT Profile

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_84_Web_Help/content/arubaframestyles/iot/iot_overview.htm

ClearPass for security

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3088890/5-steps-for-securing-the-iot-using-aruba-clearpass.html

https://news.arubanetworks.com/press-release/aruba-simplifies-enterprise-iot-adoption-new-automated-security-and-next-gen-wireless-

Thanks,

Karthik

Technical Marketing Engineer

Aruba HPE

• 5.  RE: Mobile device as panic button or trigger alarm to Clearpass/controllers

Posted Aug 13, 2019 11:34 AM

Thanks for share this information, I aprecieated your savvy. regards