Higher Education

last person joined: 14 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

Posted Aug 20, 2013 09:28 PM
      |   view attached

I just recently configure 802.1x authenticating to the active directory in my school. Everything seem to be working except sometime i receive the error message as attached. It happen to a lot of other macbook as well. I am very confident that other computer do not have the same hostname as my machine and this issue happened only after i switch to wpa-2 ent.

• 2.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2013 09:33 PM

Were these machines imaged from a base configuration? The .local name of a machine should have no relation to the authentication method used for the network connection.

If these devices are now on a shared layer 2 segment, the issue may have just appeared because all of the devices are now adjacent and conflicting with each other.

Many times a Mac will get joined to a domain with the directory utility, but the local name stays the default and has to be changed in the Sharing preference pane.

• 3.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2013 11:11 PM

@lsk wrote:

I just recently configure 802.1x authenticating to the active directory in my school. Everything seem to be working except sometime i receive the error message as attached. It happen to a lot of other macbook as well. I am very confident that other computer do not have the same hostname as my machine and this issue happened only after i switch to wpa-2 ent.

You probably have to look at the Apple forums for an answer.   There are a full range of causes from VMWARE to having wired as well as wireless connected...

• 4.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

Posted Aug 22, 2013 07:37 PM

Issue resolve. appreantly i t happen if i have two network port connected.

• 5.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

Posted Oct 23, 2013 03:04 AM

I'm currently also facing the same issue.

It all started when we have upgraded from the ArubaOS 6.1.3.4-Airgroup to the ArubaOS 6.3.0.2

It will only happen to the clients which have both LAN and wifi connected.

It did not have on the older firmware.

• 6.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2013 06:09 AM

There is no way around that.  That is an apple issue.

• 7.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

Posted Oct 23, 2013 08:27 AM

Hi All,

I have also noticed the same thing, before the upgrade this didn't happen, even when I had both a wired and wireless connection.

So I don't really think this is a Mac OS X issue alone.

Charles

• 8.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2013 08:30 AM
    Apple says that it is an issue when you plug the wired and wireless at the same time. If that is not your situation, please open a TAC case with Aruba so it can be replicated.

• 9.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2013 08:37 AM
    And....if you REALLY want to get to the bottom if this, open a case with Apple and ask them why it is happening. That way we could let the vendor tell us why it is happing. After all, it is their hardware and software..

• 10.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

Posted Oct 23, 2013 09:42 AM

We've imaged thousands of computers, and don't see this issue when both ports are connected.  We currently use WPA2 enterprise as well, and have upgraded from 6.3.0.2 to 6.3.1.0.

We have hundreds of users that plug in, and have their wireless on.  It's also standard practice to rename the computer a unique name in System Prefs - Sharing immediately after the computer is imaged.

Not sure that this is much help, but our environments sounded similar.

• 11.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2013 09:44 AM
    Bwilson,

Do you see it under any other circumstances?

• 12.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

Posted Oct 23, 2013 01:10 PM

This seems like it makes sense if you have your wired and wireless users on the same subnet and allow communication with your wifi network with other devices.  The hostname of the machine is not different between your wired and wireless ports, and if your wired port is on the same subnet as your wireless then if you have them both plugged in and you allow broadcast packets I would assume that you could see this issue...

• 13.  RE: 802.1x confusing the local hostname for mac computer

Posted Oct 23, 2013 01:46 PM

We have not seen it under any other circumstance that I'm aware of.