Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Frequent Contributor II

Re: AP's losing config and becoming non-broadcasting potatoes....

Hey CJ,

After a fair amount of reading here on the boards, I upgraded to 6.4.2.5 last night. As soon as I get a chance I'll reset those few AP's again and then see what happens.

As far as statically assigning IPs to the AP's, I hear ya and I'm picking up what your putting down. I started the slow migration to dynamic IPs as I add new ones and as old ones need to get fixed or replaced. I originally inherited  this network from another administrator and it was a lot smaller at the time. As I grew the network, I followed his documentation schema which included keeping AP's statically assigned. Now that we have broken the 200 AP barrier (I know, small potatoes to most of you guys out there in Aruba Happy Land), he is seeing what a pain in the ass it is to do so with the APs. So yeah, I totally get it and have started to move away from it.

I'll be sure to post a follow up to let everyone know if the AOS upgrade did the trick. Thanks for everyones help and insight!  :-)

Scott McNeil - Sr. Network & Security Engineer, Global Process Automation
Network+ | CWNA | CWTS | ACSP | ACMP | ACMA | BREC
Frequent Contributor II

Okay gang, it looks like the upgrade to version 6.4.2.5 did the trick. After resetting the radios in question after the upgrade not a single one has dropped on me.

So it looks like Old Man 6.2.4.0 was the culprit. And he would have gotten away with it too had it not been for you meddling kids...

Scott McNeil - Sr. Network & Security Engineer, Global Process Automation
Network+ | CWNA | CWTS | ACSP | ACMP | ACMA | BREC

Gentlemen,

I'm reviving this thread because I just experienced a similar issue;

After 4 months of problem free service,  10 AP's lost all configuration after a suspected power outage at APs only, not at the switch.   The 10 AP's rejoined the master controller in default mode while  4 other AP277's  on same switch rejoined with proper configuration parameters.

Has anyone else have this issue recently? thanks

7220 Controller code is 6.4.3.7,  AP277's,  DHCP,

I would open a TAC case. I haven't seen large numbers of APs behave that way, and it would only happen if, somehow, the AP's set environment variables was wiped (could be from a power surge if the APs were subjected to higher than expected voltages on the supply). 

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME
New Contributor

We have this issue, or at least a somewhat similar issue. The very root cause of the problem seems to be under powered POE switches. We are using enterasys B5G Poe switches which only offer about 375 watts of power across all 48 ports. Not enough. Because of this, some of the access points continuously reboot. I don't know why continuously rebooting is wiping the configs on the access points, but as soon as we resolved the power problems, the AP's stopping losing their configs.

Hopes this helps.

Thanks J,

Power supply is suspect as we are using POE/FOC's for this deployment. We'll explore options....Thanks for the info.

Thanks,  Power seems to be primary suspect here.

We'll explore options on upgrading the current set up and let you know if we continue to have the "potato" problem.

thanks

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: