Higher Education

last person joined: 9 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

ARM min/max TX EIRP vs Transmit EIRP

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  ARM min/max TX EIRP vs Transmit EIRP

Posted Oct 21, 2015 02:19 PM

I've set my min/max ARM TX EIRP but on a few AP's I see it has surpassed the ARM max, and has gone to the default Tranmist EIRP.  If I'm using ARM for the min/max is the transmit EIRP even needed?

• 2.  RE: ARM min/max TX EIRP vs Transmit EIRP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 02:29 PM

The transmit EIRP in the radio profile only comes into play if ARM is set to Disabled.  If ARM is single-band (default), it should be somewhere between the ARM Min and ARM max, as long as the hardware supports it.

• 3.  RE: ARM min/max TX EIRP vs Transmit EIRP

Posted Oct 21, 2015 02:37 PM
    And for the AP 205, what would be the best ARM modes? I?ve turned off Mode Aware ARM because I was afraid it would leave coverage holes in a current long residence hall deployment.

• 4.  RE: ARM min/max TX EIRP vs Transmit EIRP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 02:45 PM

You should only change the Min-tx-power and the max-tx-power from the defaults (12 and 18 to start).  Everything else does not need to be changed, quite frankly.

Please read our Residence Halls VRD here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Next-Generation-Wireless-Architecture-for-Multimedia-Grade/ta-p/155598

• 5.  RE: ARM min/max TX EIRP vs Transmit EIRP

Posted Oct 21, 2015 05:06 PM

To start just change you min and max values. I've read somewhere the min and max should differ by only 6 or 9.   I can't remember which.  If most of your ap's are at the min then bump them both down by 3.  Then check coverage in those outlying areas (laundry room at end of hallway, tv room behind the mailboxes, etc)

In my opinion,  don't turn on mode aware arm.  I turned it on at request of support and had coverage holes just bloom out of nowhere.  If it wasn't so annoying it would have been funny.  You could map out the surrounding 10-20 ap's and just see the hole form over a period of time.  

• 6.  RE: ARM min/max TX EIRP vs Transmit EIRP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 05:36 PM

I would recommend reading the 11ac rf roaming VRD. 

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/227716

For power, the default recommendations are:

open office

5 ghz   12 min 15 mx

2.4       6 min 9 max

walled office or classrooms

5 ghz   15 min 18 max

2.4 ghz   6 min 9 max

It also recommends turning off the lower beacon and transmit rates as well as a few other good tweaks.