Higher Education

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple iOS 7.1.1 Issues with App Store

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Apple iOS 7.1.1 Issues with App Store

Posted Jun 13, 2014 12:27 PM

Hey All,

We are currently having issues with iPhones and iPads on iOS 7.1.1 when trying to download or update from the app store over our Aruba campus wireless.

The problem only exists on those devices that also have cellular service. When the iPhone or iPad is switched to Airplane Mode, all wireless functionality is able to work properly, except for App Store downloads and updates. When they swap back to their cellular service, App Store downloads and updates work as they should.

When trying to replicate the issue on a WiFi only iOS device, the problem does not exist.

A brief background on our campus... We are currently running a mixed wireless install, 60% Aruba/ 40% Cisco, slowly fazing the Cisco installation out. We are currently on AOS version 6.3.1.5, with two 7240's and have a TAC case opened on this issue, but I was also wanting to see if anyone else might have run across this issue.

On our old Cisco wireless network, we do not have this App Store problem. We have tested with cellular capabale iPad's and iPhones and WiFi-only capable iPads.

Thanks a lot!

Brad Garnett

Auburn University

• 2.  RE: Apple iOS 7.1.1 Issues with App Store

Posted Jun 13, 2014 12:53 PM

Seems to work fine here.  I just did a quick test with my iPhone (4s) running iOS 7.1.1 using our Aruba wireless network and AOS version 6.3.1.5.  I was able to access the app store and download an update to an app without issue.  So that combination of operatings systems can work.

• 3.  RE: Apple iOS 7.1.1 Issues with App Store

Posted Jun 13, 2014 01:03 PM

Just tried the same thing here at corp, 6.4.0.3, works in both modes on an iPhone 5. Maybe you could publish the user role that's having issues?

• 4.  RE: Apple iOS 7.1.1 Issues with App Store

Posted Jun 13, 2014 01:04 PM

Could you try and download a new app that you have never had? This was also another issue.

Maybe it will be something as simple as a setting we have checked incorrectly.

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Apple iOS 7.1.1 Issues with App Store

Posted Jun 13, 2014 01:08 PM

Just tried it with both cellular on and off and was able to download two apps I'd never had on this phone. Is it consistent across the user base or just certain users?

• 6.  RE: Apple iOS 7.1.1 Issues with App Store

Posted Aug 27, 2014 12:51 PM

Hey Brad,

I have the exact same issue. My net admin contends that it is a DNS resolution problem with Apple's iOS. If the iPad is switched to the internal network (which it will tend to prefer if both cell and wifi are enabled) and there is an asychronous route somewhere, which is blocked by our firewall. Since we are in a State network here (perhaps similar to your own), it can be problematic getting this sorted out. Have you come across any solutions yet?

Thanks,

Joe