Higher Education

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba or Abuga

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba or Abuga

Posted Mar 21, 2014 10:09 AM

I'm suggesting Aruba changes it's name to Abuga until they improve their QA process. We're absolutely being worn out with dealing with bugs. Every time we change, add or upgrade it seems we're dealing with some Aruba bug. We're always asked to open a TAC case to spend our time and resources to help Aruba resolve bugs. Is Aruba just not able to do a better a job or have they just lost respect and appreciation for their customers?

Fred

• 2.  RE: Aruba or Abuga

Posted Mar 21, 2014 10:27 AM

First off, LOL.

Second off, I feel your pain. OSU is well known for having navigated very rough waters with Aruba during the 6.x releases. Of late, however, things have stablized.

Do you mind sharing:

- what code are you currently running?

- what bugs/issues are you facing?

FWIW, I'm told their QA process and staff has been revamped significantly over the last couple years, for the better.

• 3.  RE: Aruba or Abuga

Posted Mar 21, 2014 10:38 AM

Seconding Ryan, 

- what code are you currently running?

- what bugs/issues are you facing?

Here at Univ of Cincinnati we've had our growing pains as well.   

• 4.  RE: Aruba or Abuga

Posted Mar 21, 2014 11:05 AM

We're running 7240's for master/masterbackup and 11 M3 local controllers.

We're on a custom build version of AOS based on 6.3.1.0 until Aruba convinces us all of the 125 memory leak issues have been resolved in the 6.3. train. The latest bug we hit was bug id 85662.

-Symptom: The state of APs were displayed as down on the master controller although they were connected
    and UP. Internal code changes resolved this issue.
    Scenario: This issue was observed when AP’s system profile had a local controller as the primary Primary-
    LMS and master controller was configured as a backup Backup-LMS. This issue was not limited to any
    specific controller model and occurred in ArubaOS running 6.3 or later.-

Aruba has just informed us that they are finally going to fix the "invalid login session" bug in the web gui.

Aruba AOS and Airwave are great products. ClearPass seems to be well on it's way to being the best in it's category. We're fans of Aruba wireless but the bugs are wearing us out.

Fred

• 5.  RE: Aruba or Abuga

Posted Mar 21, 2014 12:50 PM

So does your environment fit the scenario mentioned in the bug? with a master as the backup LMS?

We have several hundred ap-125's here on campus.  I haven't seen the memory leak issues on 6.3.1.3.  Having said that our primary AP's are 135's.  

• 6.  RE: Aruba or Abuga

Posted Mar 24, 2014 07:54 AM

We are not using the master as a backup for any of the locals. So our scenario wasn't an exact match with the bug description but since the symptons were so close TAC was pretty sure it was related to the bug.

Thanks for the update on 6.3.1.3 and the ap-125's. We're considering moving off of our custom build to 6.3.1.3 this week.  The majority of our AP's are 135's and 105's but we still have about 1600 135's. We're debating whether to replace them with 135's or moving to the 225's.

We're hesitant to move to the 225 because it uses a  broadcom chipset and Aruba's history of buggy new technology releases. Anyone have much experience with the 225's?

Thanks,

Fred

• 7.  RE: Aruba or Abuga

Posted Mar 21, 2014 12:53 PM

I’m definitely not defending them. We had some serious rough times.

FWIW, here’s how we stand today:

- 32 M3 controllers total

- 5 distinct master/local stacks (largest stack is 1 master + 11 locals)

- AOS 6.3.1.2 (general release)

- LMS-IP for ap system profiles are VRRP addresses between locals and master; we’re not using backup LMS

- We have ~8.900 access points

- We have mostly AP-105s/AP-135s, but 2,200+ are AP-65s/AP-70s yet to be upgraded

- We also have 5 Airwave servers and 7 ClearPass servers integrated with our controllers

We’re relatively stable as for ArubaOS goes. Hope this comparative helps.

• 8.  RE: Aruba or Abuga

Posted Apr 02, 2014 03:22 AM
    I would agree with Fred that it's surprising to see Aruba make AOS 6.3.1.2 GA and have the issue described:

"-Symptom: The state of APs were displayed as down on the master controller although they were connected
    and UP. Internal code changes resolved this issue.
    Scenario: This issue was observed when AP's system profile had a local controller as the primary Primary-
    LMS and master controller was configured as a backup Backup-LMS"

We also are facing this issue and after working with TAC they confirmed it fixed in 6.3.1.3. For us it's only just after having gone to 6.3.1.2 for feature upgrades (AP licensing) and have to upgrade it again so quickly isn't ideal. We have a standard single master & single local with the local being the primary LMS for AP's. I don't recall that being an odd configuration to test.

Nathan