Higher Education

last person joined: 16 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

BAD_ADDRESS

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  BAD_ADDRESS

Posted Nov 17, 2013 08:11 PM

Hi,

I can see too many BAD-ADDRESS entry in DHCP leased address on wireless clients, what could be the reason, how can I restrict this, any advise please ?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: BAD_ADDRESS

Posted Nov 17, 2013 09:57 PM

Microsoft DHCP will mark any lease or reservation as BAD_ADDRESS if it detects an IP conflict on the network.  I guess the first thing I would ask is if you can give us a little information about what your environment looks like.

• 3.  RE: BAD_ADDRESS

Posted Nov 17, 2013 11:06 PM

noticed wifi user connection issue, checked dhcp and two scopes out of 17 for that ssid shows full, lease details shows too many BAD-ADDRESS, lease time is 15 mins, even then those bad address lease time doesnt match with this setting.

• 4.  RE: BAD_ADDRESS

Posted Nov 18, 2013 03:15 AM

Am I right in assuming this is DHCP on a Microsoft server, rather than something different?

If so, can you please post a screenshot of the entries you're seeing?

There can be a number of reasons why this might occur. The following is an example.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0ef9b4b1-f14d-4e55-8760-150ddd22420b/dhcp-server-bad-address-issue?forum=winserverNIS

Can you also confirm if there is a DHCP relay/helper in the client VLANs? I would imagine there is? What is it? I've seen some IP routing devices corrupt DHCP relayed messages before.

Depending on what the above reveals, the next best step might be to run a sniffer on the server to watch the DHCP requests coming in and replies out. That will almost certainly identify root cause.