Higher Education

last person joined: 14 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Factory Reset Aruba AP's using Airwave?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Factory Reset Aruba AP's using Airwave?

Posted Feb 26, 2016 01:18 PM

Hello-

Many times it is common for us to recover Aruba AP's with "old" AP group settings and re-use them for a different building.  Rather than reset them one at a time onsite, is there was a clever way to factory default Aruba AP's using AMP?  Our installers never remember to reset these AP's during the install, or they just can't figure out the process.  Sometimes the install can be in the hundreds of radios, so if someone has done this before it would be nice to know.  Thanks,

Matt

• 2.  RE: Factory Reset Aruba AP's using Airwave?

Posted Feb 26, 2016 01:26 PM

No, this is not possible.   Is the old AP Group name gone?   Why not just create an empty AP Group with the old name so the AP at least comes up so you can then provision into the right group?

• 3.  RE: Factory Reset Aruba AP's using Airwave?

Posted Feb 26, 2016 01:38 PM

I wish that would work, but I cannot remove the old AP group as it is still a production group.  I could rename the old production AP group, though........  This would have the same effect as the empty group idea, I think.  Then I could reprovision multiple AP's sorted by their subnet.  Does that make sense?

Matt

• 4.  RE: Factory Reset Aruba AP's using Airwave?

Posted Feb 26, 2016 02:47 PM

Nevermind the last post.  The only way to orphan AP's is to remove the AP group they belong to.  It would be more clear cut if we didn't have a fully redundant setup with many local controllers.  There is no CLI command to "rename" an AP group.  Kind of annoying as other vendors(Like HP!!!) allow easy factory defaulting of their AP's from the controller.  Maybe I'll ask for a feature request?

Matt

• 5.  RE: Factory Reset Aruba AP's using Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2016 02:50 PM

• 6.  RE: Factory Reset Aruba AP's using Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2016 03:01 PM

@mbonadie wrote:

Nevermind the last post.  The only way to orphan AP's is to remove the AP group they belong to.  It would be more clear cut if we didn't have a fully redundant setup with many local controllers.  There is no CLI command to "rename" an AP group.  Kind of annoying as other vendors(Like HP!!!) allow easy factory defaulting of their AP's from the controller.  Maybe I'll ask for a feature request?

Matt

If you to go configuration> Wireless> AP Installation > you can already sort by ip address.  When you do that, you can select multiple access points in that subnet, then move them to the default ap-group and rename them at the same time.

You also might want to get better contractors ;)

• 7.  RE: Factory Reset Aruba AP's using Airwave?

MVP
    Posted Feb 26, 2016 01:26 PM

We just use Airwave for monitoring, not configuration. You can provicion the APs with a new name & to a new groiup from your active master controller after the APs are up in their new location. It is possible to provision several APs at once.