Higher Education

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

Posted Oct 14, 2013 08:44 AM

One of our computer engineering instructors acquired several new little wireless AP spoofing devices after attending the Ethical Hacker Convention in Atlanta not long ago. He and I have been talking a lot and I need to be able to defeat his devices. One of these little guys scans the local area, grabs SSIDs and their corresponding BSSIDs and can then spoof both SSID and BSSID and also allows you to clone a portal page.

My question is this, how do I need to configure my IDS (either manually or through the wizard) to shut that down? My attempts thus far have not met with success and when I look at my master controller security dashboard I actually see where my own authorized AP's marked for containment (obviously I am doing something wrong here LOL)

Any advice is appreciated!

• 2.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2013 09:00 AM

Try the wizard with the attached parameters.  In the Protected SSID field, put your SSIDs that you want protected (case sensitive).  If you can put a dedicated air monitor in that AP-Group, that would be desired for the best IDS performance.

policy1.png

policy2.png

• 3.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

Posted Oct 14, 2013 09:07 AM

Hmmm I missed the "Protect SSID" part in prior attempts. I'm going to give it a try and I'll let you know!

• 4.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

Posted Oct 14, 2013 10:50 AM
      |   view attached

So here is the issue, check the attachment. Why are legitimate AP's getting marked for containment? (I used the settings you showed above)

SurfCFCC is our primarry SSID

• 5.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2013 10:54 AM

Let's take a step back.  For now, only enable "Detect Valid SSID Misuse".  Uncheck Protect SSID and remove those SSIDs.

See if that classifies the duplicate APs as rogue without marking the others for contain.  Make sure you change the contain status of your SSIDs, first, though.

• 6.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

Posted Oct 14, 2013 10:57 AM

Will do, I have a meeting with the instructor this afternoon where we will be testing out his devices and will be able to give feedback then.

Thanks man!!

• 7.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

Posted Oct 14, 2013 04:20 PM

Ok CJ here is what has happened so far. Using Detect Valid SSID Misuse by its self did not seem to detect anything :-( and Any time I tried to implement either Detect AP Spoofing or Detect AP Impersonation or a combination of the two I would get what I showed you in the attachment earlier in this thread. When I leave them UNchecked, it seems fine but those are two of the things I am looking to protect against.

I don't have AirWave yet so I don't know if there is anything there that can help...

Any other ideas or suggestions to try?

• 8.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2013 04:25 PM

@americanmcneil wrote:

Ok CJ here is what has happened so far. Using Detect Valid SSID Misuse by its self did not seem to detect anything :-( and Any time I tried to implement either Detect AP Spoofing or Detect AP Impersonation or a combination of the two I would get what I showed you in the attachment earlier in this thread. When I leave them UNchecked, it seems fine but those are two of the things I am looking to protect against.

I don't have AirWave yet so I don't know if there is anything there that can help...

Any other ideas or suggestions to try?

Detect Valid SSID Misuse should mark the foreign access point as rogue.  That is the first step.  You should be able to find the foreign access point in the dashboard.  It will not do anything unless we have a "Protect" enabled.  Did you see the foreign access point in the dashboard?

• 9.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

Posted Oct 21, 2013 03:59 PM

Hey Cj, as soon as I get some more Lab time I'll get back to you on this. Its pretty important but as I am sure you know how busy we all get...

• 10.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 04:00 PM

Absolutely.

Let us know.

• 11.  RE: IDS / WIPS Configuration Question

Posted Nov 04, 2013 11:23 AM

Getting a trial of AirWave tomorrow, will revisit this once AirWave is up and running and I have had a chance to play with it a little!