Higher Education

last person joined: 9 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Oct 07, 2013 01:51 PM

If you are currently using IPv4 address translation for your client networks, will you please share with me the ratio you are currently using for real-->mapped IP addresses?

• 2.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Oct 09, 2013 09:17 AM

We have our ratio to be about 1 public to 80 private addresses.

Chris Hart

Northwestern University

• 3.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Oct 11, 2013 10:19 AM

thank you!

I guess you're the only education customer doing address translation . . . ? :-/

• 4.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Oct 11, 2013 10:34 AM

Ryan,

We're not doing it now, but with our Large Public Venue (LPV) install in progress for our basketball coliseum, I anticipate having to do it as part of the implementation.

Brad

• 5.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Oct 11, 2013 10:51 AM

Ryan,

We NAT all our smartphones/Guests/Labs. We do 1 public address for every /24 private address.

• 6.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Nov 27, 2013 09:29 PM

Ryan,

While my environment is totally different (retail), I have looked at the number of sessions I typically see by devices and it seems to be in the 10-15 sessions per mobile device, with my iPhone having 20 sessions established most times due to several push accounts. 

With a safe margin of 30 sessions per device you would likely have no issues with at least 1000 devices per IP address. At my companies retail stores we have 1 address per /21 and I have not run into any issues with running out of sessions, however my average utilization (during business) on these /21s are in the 400 device range with peaks at high traffic locations hitting 800-900 devices, again never having any issue running out of sessions. 

If you plan at peak times to have your subnets at high utilizations at peak times I would likely do 1 per /23 or /22. I think us doing /21s pushes it, but not my call. 

Too bad to see osuwireless needing to move to RFC1918 space. I'm a big propoent of global addressing. Maybe make best buds with some guys at MERIT and get a couple of /16s from their /8? ;) 

Matt

• 7.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Dec 02, 2013 09:43 AM

Thanks for your response, Matt. Good to know.

Yeah, I hate moving to RFC1918 for our non-guests. NAT64 is what we would like to be doing, but the urgency of doing *something* exceeds the time required to implement NAT64 well. We'll do this move then get underway for building NAT64 and ideally placing these clients on IPv6 only.

• 8.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Dec 12, 2013 11:09 PM

We're considering going to NAT as well. IPv4 space is getting sopped up.

Is there anyone NATing one ssid and not another? We have an open (CP) ssid and a .1x ssid with about a 20/80 split, favoring .1x. As a start I'd like to just NAT the open ssid, if that's possible.

The NAT/PAT ratios discussed here are very helpful so far!

Mike

• 9.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Dec 13, 2013 08:59 AM
    To close the loop, I?m targeting an average 100 sessions per client, thus a 100:1 ratio.

This first round is to PAT our mobile devices used by student users (not staff as of yet). However, the new guest/open network I?m building will be 100% PAT. So, yes, to answer your question, others are doing a similar approach.

• 10.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Dec 14, 2013 07:34 PM

Ryan, I have a higher education customer in MA that is NAT'ing 1 public IP per /24.    Each controller has about 15 x /24 networks for each 802.1X network (2 at the moment).    This has been in place this semester with no apparent issues.   Check Point is NAT'ing.

• 11.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Mar 24, 2014 04:53 PM

We're using 50 public IP's for around a total of 25,000 internal (in use) IP's.

• 12.  RE: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

Posted Mar 24, 2014 04:59 PM

We do 1 public for every /22 (we do not do this on our aruba gear though...)  This seems to give us quite a bit of headroom - even during peak times...