Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

Nested AP groups

I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

With AOS 8 is it possible to have nested AP groups, much like the controller nesting? For our campus it would be neat to have accommodation or academic or library top levels with individual building groups below that. Another useful function would be to have a building or area AP group but then nest a group for a specific model of AP within that.

22 REPLIES 22
Guru Elite

Re: Nested AP groups

Nested AP is not something that exists in ArubaOS 8.x  I am moving this to Higher Education so that the community can comment on how they have their own ArubaOS 8.x networks configured to solve this issue.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

To be clear, the heirarchy is designed to create WLANs that are common as high up as possible.  AP-Groups are still used to differentiate between the different types of areas that exist within that heirarchy like libraries.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

I think this could be a useful organizational feature for large deployments & for grouping buildings that have different environments needing several ap-groups.

Bruce Osborne - Wireless Engineer
ACCP, ACMP

All opinions written here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of my employer or Aruba Networks

Regular Contributor I

Agreed. The controller/md hierachy is a good approached for distributed sites, where controllers are in multiple locations.

In our case, and I suspect many campus environments we don't have and don't want multiple controller/cluster configs. 

I can continue the same approach as with 6.5, but we end up with an awful lot of AP profiles and it's messy.

Guru Elite

EDIT In response to Bosborne:

Is the grouping for configuration or reporting?  Airwave provides grouping for reporting.  Access points should be grouped based on functionality, and that is the purpose of ap-groups.  In AOS8 the folder structure is just to make those set of ap-groups available for whatever building in a folder needs them.  If a building has several different ap-groups, you put those access points into those different ap-groups.  The naming convention of your access points would let the administrator know what building an access point is in.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

@MatthewSeymour wrote:

Agreed. The controller/md hierachy is a good approached for distributed sites, where controllers are in multiple locations.

In our case, and I suspect many campus environments we don't have and don't want multiple controller/cluster configs. 

I can continue the same approach as with 6.5, but we end up with an awful lot of AP profiles and it's messy.

MatthewSeymor, please state an example.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

We use clusters for functionality. We hae one Campus Cluster.

We have several buildings within that cluster & many buildings have multiple ap-groups. The large number of ap-groups makes the configuration unwieldy, IMHO.

Bruce Osborne - Wireless Engineer
ACCP, ACMP

All opinions written here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of my employer or Aruba Networks

Guru Elite

Bosborne:

What is the difference between ap-groups?

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Regular Contributor I

Sounds very similar to our setup.... though we don't have aos8 deployed yet.

An example would be to be able to group all our accommodation APs into a single "accommodation" group, but then have further settings nested within that for specific buildings, that allow us to enable a VAP in a specific area. We could enable a conferences VAP in the appropriate accommodation only when a conference event is taking place. That's just one example. 

Actually, from what I can see so far (correct me if I'm wrong) AOS 8 makes this even worse because it isn't possible to set override for an individual AP. So the proliferation of AP groups is going to be nasty.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: