Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Frequent Contributor II

Re: Occasional client just will not get a DHCP address...

If the student drops his laptop off again today CJ, I'll be sure to give those a shot. Thanks again everybody for everything so far.

Scott McNeil - Sr. Network & Security Engineer, Global Process Automation
Network+ | CWNA | CWTS | ACSP | ACMP | ACMA | BREC
Guru Elite

Symptoms:

- Brand new HP laptop running Windows 8.1

- I disabled all anti-virus/firewall software

- Laptop is set as DHCP

- Laptop displays valid IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway

- Laptop's ipconfig displays an IP address that is already assigned to another device in another building

- I have been unable to force an IP change on the laptop

- Laptop cannot access Captive Portal directly or by redirect

Can anyone shed some light on this? 

Thanks

What is the output of "show aaa timers"?

What is the lease time of your DHCP pool?

Do you have "enforce dhcp" enabled on your AAA profile?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars

(aruba-master) >#show aaa timers
(aruba-master) >
(aruba-master) >

This is what displays when I enter that command.

I apologize but I'll make a disclaimer now - I'm VERY new to working with ArubaOS and also somewhat familiar with the interface.

How/where do I determine the lease time?

And no, enforce DHCP is not enabled.

I apologize for the lack of knowledge, but this current issue is one that's plaguing campus and my colleagues are not so ambitious to get this solved.

Guru Elite

ldjamision,

The questions were pointed at americanmcneill specifically based on his client having a duplicate ip address.

Either way, you need to enter "enable" mode to run those commands.  Are you having the same problem with clients not getting an ip address?  You might want to open your own thread so that we can troubleshoot your circumstances separately, because there are many reasons why it would happen...

Also, what dhcp server provides ip addresses to your clients?  If you don't know, please ask your colleagues, so that we can also find out what the lease time is.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

We will occasionally run in to this issue. Same things we've noticed as well. I haven't been able to determine what causes it, or how it happens, because it occurs on both Windows and OS X. Haven't seen issues with smartphones/tablets. Rebooting the client doesn't solve the issue.

What we've done to resolve these one-off issues is clear the user's session on our controller. The client is then able to get a DHCP address successfully. Wish I could figure this one out...

Mike
New Contributor

Run Malwarebytes on it. Windows 8 is horrible for getting malware.

--

Jim LucasWireless and Field Services Coordinator

Network Operations
SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Kehoe 415
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
(518)564-5322
Guru Elite

@burbackm wrote:
We will occasionally run in to this issue. Same things we've noticed as well. I haven't been able to determine what causes it, or how it happens, because it occurs on both Windows and OS X. Haven't seen issues with smartphones/tablets. Rebooting the client doesn't solve the issue.

What we've done to resolve these one-off issues is clear the user's session on our controller. The client is then able to get a DHCP address successfully. Wish I could figure this one out...

Mike

burbackm,

What is your DHCP lease for those clients?  A like Ryan said, aleading cause is not setting your lease long enough, if clearing the client's session fixes the problem..

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: