Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Guru Elite

Re: Regular complaints of getting disconnected coming in from students

@gilmorrr wrote:

I have been going over what is going on here and making a time line of all changes upgrades and etc that have gone on. We upgraded our Aruba controller's from 6.2.1.3 to 6.3.1.5 back in April of this year. We wanted to start to take advantage of Airgroups. Well it wasn't but a week in to the semester when we started getting a few reports of drops and as the semester is going on we have gotten much more. Now we have upgraded a few more since then to the current code. I see that there are reports on the 6.4 code as well but has any one heard or seen this dropping issue occured in the previous 6.2 and back versions? I have put this to my Ticket and Sales engineer as well but I thought I'd also put this out there to see if it indeed is a pattern. Or is maybe something to do with Airgroups. I've speculated about disabling that as well. 

Ron Gilmore

IT - Network Operations

SUNY Oneonta

gilmorr,

Airgroup is not directly related to client connectivity.  The only one I can think of is if you are using Airgroup with ClearPass and the radius server is overloaded, so no 802.1x authentication can take place.  Airgroup "not working" would result in clients not seeing airplay and airprint devices, but not specifically client connectivity.  Like you mentioned, you can turn Airgroup off just to double-check...

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Frequent Contributor II

This is a good thread. Thanks for contributing. We received lots of complaints when moving from 6.2.x to 6.3.1.5. It looked like clients were being pushed to APs that made no sense. We(TAC) disabled client match for a while and things improved. We enabled it again when we upgraded to 6.3.12 and we are seeing some complaints. My gut feeling is there are several problems, client match, inadequate 5 Ghz coverage, and client drivers. I'm looking forward to trying to disable client match on a per client basis to see if that helps those that are most vocal. :-) Thanks for the tip.

Guru Elite

@pmauretti wrote:

Another institution checking in with this problem.  We are migrating for a lone 3600 controller to master/local 7210's, with approximately 150 AP's.  Most are AP-125's, but around 20 of the 225's as well.  We have been on 6.4.0.3 for quite awhile now.  Haven't had any reports of issues until recently.  Unlike the previous poster, the only reports we are getting are on our 802.1X network, not the other open/captive portal networks.  

We have had issues with machines taking 5+ minutes to be able to login (machine not picking up the AP), machines dropping connections during usage, etc.  We have just begun troubleshooting in earnest, but if I find out anything I will post it here.

Patrick

Massasoit Community College

pmauretti,

What is the operating system of the machine is this taking 5+ minutes to login?  Do you have machine authentication configured on that computer.  Is it new users or users who have their profiles cached that are taking a long time?  Is the computer connected to an access point that already has 30+ users connected to it?  Do you use roaming profiles so that users have to download megabytes of traffic when they login?  5 minutes + should not be happening, but if it is, there is a reason.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

@rwilsonblue wrote:

This is a good thread. Thanks for contributing. We received lots of complaints when moving from 6.2.x to 6.3.1.5. It looked like clients were being pushed to APs that made no sense. We(TAC) disabled client match for a while and things improved. We enabled it again when we upgraded to 6.3.12 and we are seeing some complaints. My gut feeling is there are several problems, client match, inadequate 5 Ghz coverage, and client drivers. I'm looking forward to trying to disable client match on a per client basis to see if that helps those that are most vocal. :-) Thanks for the tip.

rwilsonblue,

The difficulty with troubleshooting something that is random is that you do not have any way of measuring whether or not you made progress.  Was it clientmatch?  Was it the user not reporting issues?  Was it the fact that all of the circumstances that create poor wifi did not line up to create a problem after you did what you think is the solution?

The real solution is to look at the network wholistically and see if you are serving up good RF and are giving all of your clients to work in good situations and are you giving them enough room to still operate when things get challenging.  Please read the article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 to go through a list of things to check to make sure your wifi is at least configured correctly to start.  It is not an all inclusive list, but it is a start....

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

@tparenti wrote:

I am seeing the exact same thing happen on my network. We have redundant 3600 masters, 2 7240's in one location, and 6 M3's split up evenly between 3 other locations. We have about 1,800 APs mixed between 105's, 125's, 135's and some 225's. We just upgraded to 6.3.1.10 from 6.3.1.8 this week to fix a different problem and it did not solve this issue. It does not seem to be happening on our 802.1x SSID, only our open SSID.

Tom

Johnson & Wales University

tparenti,

When you say "the exact same thing", can you be more specific?  Do you have mixed capability access points within earshot of one another?  What type of area(s) do you have this issue?  What clients have this issue.  RF problems do not particularly care about the version of code.  If you have a fundamental issue in a specific area, upgrades or knobs typically can only do so much..

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

@jkotch wrote:

Hi All,

I just searched throuh my archive and discovered this .....

Description: Macbooks client intermittently getting disconnected

Latest Status changed to:
It was found that the client was changing channels (moving to a to g radio) due to radar detected on DFS channel. The AP did not change channels..

Next Action changed to:
Recommendation to mitigate this is to remove DFS channels from regulatory domain profile. TAC is investigating to see if this is a known Apple issue..

I also reviewed my Client Match settings and they don't look that different from the defaults.

I might not have remembered all the events that surrounded our upgrade to 6.3 correctly. Apologies if I conveyed misleading information.

jkotch,

You bring up a good point.  Do not run DFS channels unless you have absolute control over your clients.  In some cases, entire manufacturers do not have DFS certified or enabled on their clients.  Other manufactuerers that have enabled DFS channels don't scan on them often, so you could end up with an access point that serves few if any clients.  You would be creating black holes and irregular coverage for those devices with no DFS support.  In some cases, Radar will geniuinely create issues with DFS channels, but there is a chance that there are false positives. Disabling DFS channels will sidestep these issues.

If you used DFS to obtain spectrum, you should have a plan to unbond channels so that you can regain channel separation when you disable DFS.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

@fkenner wrote:

We have seen the same issue and are running 6.3.1.10 with three M3 controllers (Master & two local) and about 590 AP's (105, 125, 134/5, 175 and some 225).  We are having random disconnects and dificulties reconnecting after (need to disable adapter or reboot computer).  More OS X users than Windows but not enough data to draw any defenite conclusions.

We got rid of some interference in one of the buildings and that helped a little bit with the number of times this happens.  However, students are still disconnecting randomly and the debug logs don't give any more information. We started getting reports of this problem about 4-5 weeks ago but we ran on the 6.3.1.10 long before that.  Please post if you were able to figure something out with TAC.

fkenner,

You are right: the debug log only offers a view of issues from the controller's point of view.  If a client cannot connect because of an RF issue, the client debug logs would not say specifically.  The unwritten rule, is if it happens in a specific location, the problem is the location.  If it happens with a specific client, the problem is with the client.  If it happens everywhere, it is either a global setting or a deployment issue.  Please take a look at the article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 to see if it can give you some ideas..

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

@americanmcneil wrote:

Just wanted to toss my hat into the ring as I am seeing some of these same issues. Small shop here, 4 - 3000 series controllers, dedicated master (3200xm) with three locals (3200xm, 3400 & 3600), running 6.4.2.0 across the board. Currently about 200 AP's, mix of 93's, 105's and now 225's. I have been seeing it on Win7 machines, iPads, iPhones and rarely on an Android. I haven't seen it on win8 though... hmmm there is some food for thought.

Anyway, I was attributing a lot of it to needed updates to various wireless drivers and whatnot, there apparently a known issue with the latest iOS and there was an update released for "known WIFI related issues" (according to our web designers iPad anyway). Now I am seeing the similarities and am thinking this is the same issue as everyone else here. Ill be monitoring this thread to see how it progresses too.

americanmcneill,

If it is a code issue, typically when many users open tac cases, we try to find a commonality to determine what is the problem.  In the course of it, we will do a number of things to ensure that the RF itself is what we expect it to be and if it has enough capacity in your environment to support your current client load.  Looking at the dashboard on the controller and seeing your channel utilization on all of your access points is a good start to determine if you have an RF issue or not.  RF utilization should be at no more than 20% at midnight or when a an access point is being lightly used.  Start there to determine if you have an RF issue, if you can...  You can also open a TAC case in parallel to determine if there is something that can be done in the short term, or if you have a knob or counter that has been misconfigured that could contribute to the issue you are seeing.  If you do open a case, please write back to the thread so that we can leverage what you find.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

@davidbr wrote:

Since everybody is throwing in their hat. 

We are seeing the issue here at Boston College.  Dedicated Master with 8 local's (6.3.1.8) 

Windows/Apple OS on various devices. 

Brian are you seeing a few disconnects or many disconnects?  Is there a pattern about where they are located?  If not, you might want to observe the controller's dashboard to get a bird's eye view of your environment and if there is somewhere that might warrant investigating.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

@lkfirestone wrote:

I too have had several complaints about this...I've got 2 different AOS versions, a 6.4.1.0 and a 6.3.1.6.  So far, only have complaints in 1 area on the 6.4.1.0 code version... I went there myself, with several different machines (android, mountian lion, yosemite, and windows 7), and experienced issues with all but the android, all simultaneously. 

My initial complaint came from a student who had just upgraded to yosemite... I've got a ticket open with Dell, who in turn has one open with Aruba on this matter. 

My experience was not only a disconnect - reconnect, but a failure to connect. I have several 802.1x networks, hitting several different radius servers, as well as an open network...During this failure to connect time-period, not a single SSID worked for me on the laptops... My android phone however, no issues....

lkfirestone,

If you can go to the dashboard and look at one or two access points in the area, you might want to see what the channel utilization is for them in the area at that time when you are having issues.  If there is a hidden source of interference or high utilization, dropped or corrupted packets during 802.1x could prevent a client from connecting period.  It could also be environmental as in a non-wifi device causing interference.  How many SSIDs are you broadcasting in that area and do you have "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" enabled on all of your SSIDs?  Check out the post here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 to see if there are small things that you can check for...

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: