Higher Education

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Static IP requests

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Static IP requests

Posted Jun 26, 2013 05:42 PM

ow do you deal with requests for static IP addressing in your networks? Do you hand them out, do you try to get the device moved into a data center? 

• 2.  RE: Static IP requests

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:45 PM

No static IPs are permited on our campus wireless network. DHCP only.

• 3.  RE: Static IP requests

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:45 PM

Same here, there is zero need for a static IP on our wireless infrastructure.

• 4.  RE: Static IP requests

MVP
    Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:19 PM

We also do not allow static ip addresses, but there are DHCP reservations for the wired side.Not permitted on wireless, though.

• 5.  RE: Static IP requests

Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:26 PM

Did any of you have any issues with people pushing back on that policy? It would seem to me that in general there are is no real need for static IP anymore, do people just resort to auto-updated DNS, or the requests just don't happen that often?

• 6.  RE: Static IP requests

MVP
    Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:28 PM

I know our wired printers, Fire Alarm panels, etc. have their own subnets that are DHCP reservation-only. Some systems need to know the exact ip address if a given device.

• 7.  RE: Static IP requests

Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:36 PM

@bosborne@liberty.edu wrote:

I know our wired printers, Fire Alarm panels, etc. have their own subnets that are DHCP reservation-only. Some systems need to know the exact ip address if a given device.

On the wired side, this is how we handle this as well.  You get a DHCP reserved address in the proper subnet for the class of device being used, and this is generally limited to things like alarm panels, card swipes, cameras, etc.  End users simply don't get static addresses.

• 8.  RE: Static IP requests

MVP
    Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:39 PM

Speaking of card swipes, we are considering wireless badge readers for accss control (locks). They apparently do 802.1X, but how do you handle the addressing?

• 9.  RE: Static IP requests

Posted Aug 12, 2013 11:26 AM

For our wireless readers, the connection was intiated from reader to server only. The server doesn't need to know the address of the specific readers, so DHCP was technically fine. However, I ended up I reserving them in DHCP for easier ID during troubleshooting and inventory purposes.

They are battery powered, so the radio only wakes up a few scheduled times per day to update their access lists (and/or after 3  consecutive access-denied swipes). As a result, they cannot be remotely managed or actively monitored.

Because the locks can only be managed via local serial cable, static IP's weren't even an option I considered. As it is, without remote management, a certificate update or server address change will require a lot of legwork.

• 10.  RE: Static IP requests

Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:38 PM

We did allowed it at one point for certain wireless devices using our registration system to assign the IP address and then returning back a role and under that role defined the VLAN .

But for the most part it just DHCP