Higher Education

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

bandwidth contracts

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  bandwidth contracts

Posted Feb 13, 2014 03:30 PM
    How can one setup bandwidth contracts to allow full bandwidth to 10.X addresses and rate limit to everything else?

• 2.  RE: bandwidth contracts

Posted Feb 13, 2014 04:07 PM
    Bandwidth contracts I believe are setup per SSID or per Role.
    Therefore, whatever role or SSID is configured on the VLAN that delivers 10.x addresses, you would apply the BC's there.

• 3.  RE: bandwidth contracts

Posted Feb 13, 2014 04:32 PM

You can also configured a BC per vlan interface.  So just put your BCs on the non 10.x IP addresses.  If you need more BW control, you can also configured some Traffic management profiles to allow a portion of the BW on the APs to the particluar VAP that has the 10.x vlans.  Somthing like "always allow at least 50%" of the available BW to this particular VAP.  This kicks in during congestion.

• 4.  RE: bandwidth contracts

Posted Feb 13, 2014 04:35 PM
    I'll have to look into the traffic management profiles Marcelo. That may work.

• 5.  RE: bandwidth contracts

Posted Feb 13, 2014 04:33 PM
    I understand what you are saying. I am looking for something a bit more complex. I have an SSID that has access to the internal network and the internet. I want a user associated to that ssid to have full bandwidth internal but apply a BC when they access external. What i need is an ACL for the BC's

• 6.  RE: bandwidth contracts

Posted Feb 13, 2014 04:51 PM

What are other colleges and universities doing WRT to BC? What are you capping studnet roles at?

• 7.  RE: bandwidth contracts

Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:18 PM

We have a 100 mb Ethernet connection that is shared in the SD campus. Other campuses have some smaller internet connections and they have similar restrictions

We limit guest access for the entire ssid to 15 mb. We unrestrict this for big events like career fair, graduations, etc. This is the network for Student BYOD and guest visiting the campus.

School owned Ipads for student material and testing is unrestricted. These are only used in classes and by the executives.

We have the internal staff network at limited 20 Mb to keep instructors from shutting down the wireless during testing.

We had this happen a few times with instructors doing things they werent supposed to during student tests.

hope this helps.

• 8.  RE: bandwidth contracts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:21 PM

Much, much more granular application and bandwidth control is coming in 6.4 for the 7200 series controllers. Stay tuned over the next week or two.

• 9.  RE: bandwidth contracts

Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:26 PM

Hmm, gotcha.  This is a good "feature request".  I think you will have to do this rate limiting on your upstream device.  If you have a router next hop, I would put the rate limiting on the interface vlan facing the outside.

• 10.  RE: bandwidth contracts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2014 04:16 PM

One way to do this would be to use AppRF to identify the services that you want to prioritize. Take a look at AppRF 2.0 in AOS 6.4. It is very powerful.

You can do combinations of destinations, user roles, specific applications, application categorys and SSIDs.

role-app-limits.PNG